Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Southern Myanmar advice please

Posted by Jcod on 26/12/2016 at 17:31

Hi

We have three weeks to explore Myanmar. We have a week in Yangon and a week exploring Bagan, Monywa and Mandalay. We then have a week to spend elsewhere. We are looking at three options: 1) bus Yangon/Mawlamyine return and explore that area (no flights available) 2) flyYangon/Dawei return - ditto, or 3) fly Yangon/Myeik return - ditto. Sadly we have to fly as we are limited with time! We are street photographers so need plenty of people and interesting street life to capture! But we like a nice sandy beach as well. Any advice or alternative suggestions most welcome!

And thanks in advance!

#1 Jcod has been a member since 18/9/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by Ufaddt on 27/12/2016 at 21:27

Just got back from Dawei and the beach town right next to it Maungmagan. It was amazing

Dewey is a big town but the village maugmagan was just a hidden jem. Amazing beach with very few if any tourists. 45 min ride and you are on an empty beach. Saw 3 locals and us for 4 hours. Also check our Naypitaw the capital. As a photographer it will be very surreal experience. 1-2 days max.

Got a good deal on hotel $25 a night and a good all day taxi driver $35 for 10 hours
Let me know if you got questions!

#2 Ufaddt has been a member since 27/12/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by Jcod on 1/1/2017 at 19:33

Thanks so much for your response. Very useful information. Have been looking at quite a few youtube videos of the Dawei area and I think it's on the top of my list....just have to convince my partner now! It looks chilled out and relaxed down there which appeals. It seems however you have to travel quite a way to get to the nicer beaches - is this correct? And is it better to hire motorbikes or get drivers/taxis?

Cheers!

#3 Jcod has been a member since 18/9/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by globerovers on 11/1/2017 at 02:22

I just want to recommend that if you like trains, take the train from Yangon to Mawlamyine. I really loved the experience! Can take a lot of pics inside the train and outside...

#4 globerovers has been a member since 22/12/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 4
 Send globerovers a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Herbie47 on 11/1/2017 at 09:55

I do some street photography. I did not get as far as Dawei which was probably a mistake. I will work from south north. Ye interesting small town, some good scenes but it's fairly small place, not many tourists, people friendly. Mawlamyine, this is quite large town, this was pretty good for street scenes and people portraits, people were ok, some friendly and others not so much, it has quite a large Indian and muslim population so feels different from most other towns, its a bit gritty. Best place was near the veg market, there are a few streets behind there. Hpa-An was disappointing, did not get any photos really there, even the market was not that interesting. Yangon did not spend lang there but it is pretty good for street photos. Mandalay used to be quite good but these days I struggle to find good scenes, although the big market is good and well worth a look around, although it's very busy, there are some wholesale markets by the river, also worth a look, thats due west of main market, there are flowers, veg and then fish. Monywa this was worst town for market and street photos I found, people not that friendly either. Bagan not much apart from market at Nyaun U.

#5 Herbie47 has been a member since 23/2/2011. Posts: 19

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.