Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

2-week itinerary, plus flights to/from Kengtung?

Posted by linolanayseda on 1/1/2017 at 16:49

Hello all,

My husband and I are planning a two-week trip to Myanmar in late Feb-early March 2017. This is the rough itinerary I've drawn up:

1. Transit/Arrive Yangon 12:10 am
2. Yangon
3. Yangon
4. Yangon- Kengtung
5. Kengtung
6. Kengtung
7. Kengtung-Heho/ Inle Lake
8. Inle
9. Inle
10. Inle
11. Heho- Bagan
12. Bagan
13. Bagan
14. Bagan to Yangon
15. Yangon
16. Depart

One thing I'm wondering about is spending 3 days around Inle Lake versus 3 days in/around Kengtung. We're big on markets, textiles and tribal cultures. Because we're on such limited time, we're planning on flying between destinations (and obvs, that's our only choice with Kengtung).

That said, I'm having a devil of a time finding flights between Kengtung and, well, anywhere—both flying in and out. Is it possible that these just aren't scheduled yet, or might they be sold out, or already kiboshed for lack of interest? Have been checking flymya.com as well as a number of the individual carrier sites to no avail. Any insight would be much appreciated!

#1 linolanayseda has been a member since 23/10/2010. Posts: 5
 Send linolanayseda a private message 

Posted by globerovers on 11/1/2017 at 03:04

There is a great fresh market around Inle Lake ... I think it is on the south side when you take a day boat trip around the lake. Very authentic. For Inle Lake, most people stay at Nyaungshwe Township...which is a great place in itself. Many monks early in the morning, markets, etc. Three days at Inle ...not even enough. :) You should consider renting a car and driver sometimes. A good alternative to flying and you will see a lot more. I personally would spend more time at Inle Lake than Kentung.

#2 globerovers has been a member since 22/12/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 4
 Send globerovers a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Herbie47 on 11/1/2017 at 11:04

If you look on google it should list all the flights from Kentung but there are only 6 a week I think to Heho. There are more flights from Tachileik.

Markets around Inle change, so there is a market every 5 days in each village. Have not been to KenTung yet. Plenty to do at Inle for 3 days, if you have money then you can visit Sankar which is lake south of Inle, not touristy there but will take about 3 hours each way by boat.

#3 Herbie47 has been a member since 23/2/2011. Posts: 19

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.