Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Travel restrictions in Mon State? No!

Posted by YeMeansWater on 24/1/2017 at 04:51

People have cancelled their planned visit to southern Mon State because they were told by travel agencies and hotel staff (in other cities) that the town of Ye in southern Mon State is off-limits now. This is not the case! Don't skip Ye because of inaccurate information.

Also, there have been rumours that Starlight Guesthouse (in Ye, Mon State) is not licensed to accept foreign guests. This is not true. Starlight has the correct license. May Shan 2 guesthouse also has the correct license.

#1 YeMeansWater has been a member since 15/5/2014. Location: Myanmar / Burma. Posts: 6
 Send YeMeansWater a private message   Where has YeMeansWater been? 

Posted by WildRices on 6/5/2017 at 00:01

Hi , we are looking at travelling up the S.E. coast from Kawthuang to Myeik, & Dawei
Does anyone have an update on travel restrictions? Can you catch a bus/train all the way up?
Does a ferry service still operate? I gather its slow going but very picturesque.

#2 WildRices has been a member since 5/5/2017. Posts: 1

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by YeMeansWater on 6/5/2017 at 07:09

Lately, many travelers have done that route. No restrictions, but options are limited: fly, bus or hitchhike. Dawei is the southernmost train station. No more ferry boats, unfortunately.

#3 YeMeansWater has been a member since 15/5/2014. Location: Myanmar / Burma. Posts: 6
 Send YeMeansWater a private message   Where has YeMeansWater been? 

Posted by Herbie47 on 12/5/2017 at 14:35

Ye s it's true that Ye is open, it really annoys me that there is so much wrong information put out, seems a lot by travel agents. I was there last November.

#4 Herbie47 has been a member since 23/2/2011. Posts: 21

Posted by muzzaf on 18/5/2017 at 01:19

Wait a few days,
I will get back to you about bus times going north to Myiek. I did this route and was just "OK". The bus out of here is fairly well controlled by the local "Mafia" Two helpful English speaking locals that get kickbacks on everything you touch. Accommodation, Transport, Food. even Phone sim cards.
No problems or troubles anywhere going up that way, all great people.
Muzza
Other than that
Have a look at doing Bangkok, Kanchanaburi (Burma Railway), Dawei, Ye, Mawlamyine and on.
That border crossing and journey (Kanchan/Dawei) was great

#5 muzzaf has been a member since 22/3/2007. Posts: 11

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.