Text page

Burma

Burma forum

Train from Bagan to Mandalay

Posted by JimmyW on 27/1/2017 at 03:29

Just got off the train from Bagan to Mandalay. Here are some details:

It cost 1800 kyat per person and left at 7 AM arriving at around 2 PM

We arrived at Bagan station at 6:30 AM and easily got a ticket

Hold onto your ticket; they check it a few times, including when you leave the station at Mandalay. But my girlfriend lost her ticket and they let her leave.

The ride was bumpier and wobblier than any train I'd ever been on--and I once lived on an Indian train for a month, and have taken trains in Vietnam, Thailand, and China. Having said that, it was still a pleasant ride, the view was fairly nice, the crowd (a mix of tourists and locals) was friendly and in good spirits. There were people selling food on the train, including a woman who made us a delicious noodle dish and salad dish in a plastic bag, and sat down to mix all the ingredients right in front of us. The seats were only moderately comfortable, the bathroom was acceptable (a toilet where you could sit or stand), and the doors were open as usual, so you could get off at stations if you felt like it. We did see a mouse running around, but it wasn't that big a deal--unless you hate mice.

Overall I liked the ride, you get to see a lot of rural areas, some pagodas, and then the slow buildup into Mandalay. The train station is located in the middle of the city, and it was a short walk to our hotel.

#1 JimmyW has been a member since 18/1/2017. Location: United States. Posts: 6

Posted by amnicoll on 27/1/2017 at 22:37

Is this a new line certainly when I was there in 1986 there were no trains

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.