Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Bagan bus station taxi overcharge

Posted by lucasan on 26/2/2017 at 00:30

The main bus station, some 7 km from Nyaung U, has now a board showing transport price to Nyaung U, New Bagan and Old Bagan. It's 5000, 7000 and 8000 Kyat.
Nevertheless the taxi drivers will refuse to take any passenger for less than 5000 kyat per person, minimum 15000 kyat per car.
Don' t let them overcharge you, simply take your luggage and walk some 200 yards to the main road.
You'll never get to the main road, though.
An honest driver will pop up half a way and offer the right fare.

#1 lucasan has been a member since 14/11/2016. Posts: 10

Posted by neharani on 26/2/2017 at 22:31

Thanks lucasan for the information..

#2 neharani has been a member since 23/2/2017. Posts: 30

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by HeidiSmith on 8/4/2017 at 22:12

We (three of us) were in Nyuang Oo in February. It was my second visit and I knew about the taxi monopoly at the airport and I experienced the taxi monopoly at the bus station on my last trip.

The taxi fare to our guesthouse (3 miles away) was 5000 for the car, not per person. This is not a fair price so as Lucasan says, just travel light and after exiting the airport, walk down airport road until someone approaches you for a better price. If you reach the main road into Nyuang Oo there will be many more cars/taxis etc traveling this road into town so you can negotiate a better price.

We decided to pay the 5000 kyat because there were three of us and it was quite hot for walking. I quizzed the taxi driver on the 'rules' at the airport, and he told me there are about 60 taxi drivers vying for tourist business. Every morning they meet and decide who can take the fares. Not everyone gets a fare every day. If your hotel is further away, you pay more. But the price was definitely for the car not each person (make sure you ask and don't assume!). However, two years ago at the bus terminal the drivers wanted 5000 per person.

#3 HeidiSmith has been a member since 4/12/2014. Posts: 14

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.