Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Peaceful, scenic place in Myanmar?

Posted by JiiveeR on 22/5/2017 at 14:00

Hi!

I've been scrolling through the internet and started to wonder, if anyone could recommend a nice, peaceful place in Myanmar to spend a few days or so. What I had in mind was something like Nong Khiaw in Laos, a nice balance of infrastructure, beautiful scenery and good food. I'll be traveling in Myanmar later this year, it'll be my second time, first being 7 years ago. Last time I skipped Inle Lake and had that in mind, but I would love to hear if anyone has any other places they would like to tip me off about, help is always appreciated.

I've been also looking into southeastern part of the country, somewhere around Ye or Dawei, but I'm a sucker for mountains and rivers (all those calm cool mornings when the fog is moving past, before evaporating amongst the mountains and hills, while you're sipping at your coffee with no hurry in the world) and I'd trade a hot steamy lowland place for them if possible.

Any ideas or tips?

#1 JiiveeR has been a member since 22/5/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by hellomoto84 on 24/7/2017 at 10:04

Sorry this is a bit of a delayed reply so the info might no longer be relevant but here goes!

Would echo your idea of Inle Lake as a good spot to relax - we spent about 5nights there back in March/April and found it just right. Plenty of great places to eat & much less hectic / crowded than Yangon and Mandalay.

We also spent a few nights in Hsipaw - a good area if you're looking to do any trekking into the hills. Aside from trekking a few nights though there's not a massive amount else to do...

Another one to maybe look at is Pyin Oo Lwin. There's less there in terms of tourist infrastructure than Inle but it has a lake too ;) and a big botanical garden - they sting you a bit on the cost but it was a nice place to spend a few hours and not be covered in dust!

Hope it helps!
Helen

#2 hellomoto84 has been a member since 13/3/2017. Posts: 18

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by neilxdavis on 25/7/2017 at 01:40

It depends a bit what time of year.
Assuming it's not the wet season Mawlamyine is a lovely spot to relax for a few days.
Plenty of nearby sights and walks, the infrastructure is good, and the food can be surprisingly good with a mix of Burmese, Karen and Indian on offer. River views and mornings a treat.
Spent 4 days there and barely scratched the surface.
Hpa An is another option - again a lot to see around the town and mountains to climb, or walk through, though the town itself is a bit spread out and motos proved difficult to find outside the market area, so potentially a lot of walking.

If it's wet, go north.
Good luck

#3 neilxdavis has been a member since 28/11/2015. Posts: 1
 Where has neilxdavis been? 

Posted by sapoteseason on 25/7/2017 at 14:50

we enjoyed Meiktila (also spelt Meiktilar). ordinary town. great huge mkt. Kalaw. those misty chilly mornings.

#4 sapoteseason has been a member since 23/6/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by Johnexplo on 31/7/2017 at 05:04

You will try to visit that places which are most peaceful places in Myanmar.

1. Shwedagon Pagoda
2. Sule Pagoda
3. Long Neck tribe from Stefan at Nomadic Boys
4. Trekking from Kalaw to Inle Lake
5. Red Mountain Winery

#5 Johnexplo has been a member since 31/7/2017. Posts: 4

Posted by mundu on 26/8/2017 at 10:02

A nice, peaceful, scenic place is Sinhtauk Beach Bungalows on the Dawei peninsula. You can check their website for more information.

#6 mundu has been a member since 16/1/2016. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.