Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Mawlamyine to Myeik via Ye and Dawei by bus?

Posted by petrabakker on 29/7/2017 at 03:45

Hi,

we are planning to do the 'Travelfish suggested'2 weeks in south burma itinery, as mentioned on:
https://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/2-weeks-southern-burma.
We planned to travel southbound by bus, but reading the details on the travelfish writer's experience it looks very hard to get busses out of Ye and Dawei to travel further south to Myeik . The piece was written early 2016, so things may have changed, does anyone have more info on the possibilities here?
Also I wondered if the travel from Myeik to Kawthaung is a long and hard busride and a flight would be a better option? How long in advance should I book a flight? We're planning to go early january, so should I expect things to be very busy and book far in advance?

Thanks,

Petra

#1 petrabakker has been a member since 31/8/2014. Posts: 2

Posted by Johnexplo on 31/7/2017 at 04:56

South to north travel in south Burma is straightforward and easy, as any town will have a stack of departures for Yangon and you can just jump off wherever you want to. However in the opposite direction, once you are outside of Yangon it’s a different matter. There are very few buses doing, for instance, Dawei to Myeik only. All these buses heading from Yangon through Dawei on their way to Myeik for example, will not pick up passengers in Dawei, even if travellers are vacating seats by alighting there. Frustrating as it is, as of early 2016 that was the situation.

#2 Johnexplo has been a member since 31/7/2017. Posts: 4

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by muzzaf on 23/8/2017 at 09:57

I did the reverse last year, Hated Kawthaung but that is another story.
I can assure you there will be no trouble getting busses south. I stayed at the places you stated and loved it.
Do not get off between Myiek and Kawthoung, trouble getting busses along there. A bit of caution, I heard one bus company drives straight through from North to South without changing drivers.So the local busses, being more fun, would be better than the long distance ones.
You may choose to stay at the Cinderella in Mawlamyine and the Shwe Moung Than hotel in Dawei . The Cinderella is probably the best in Myanmar, the other one is the countries most helpful. (Go to the 4th floor) Both will be sure to help you getting busses going south.
Saying that, Im one that thinks you should go EAST at Dawei into Kanchanaburi in Thailand.

#3 muzzaf has been a member since 22/3/2007. Posts: 11

Posted by petrabakker on 27/8/2017 at 03:34

Thank you @johnexplo and @muzzaf for your replies.
The hotels recommended sound good, thanks fir that.

Sounds like I should probably not get off in Ye because then travelling further south is impossible,
Still wonder if flying or bussing is the best option between Myeik and Kwathaung.

And as it is the last part of my trip I don't like to book it far in advance. Does anyone know how far in advance it should be booked?

#4 petrabakker has been a member since 31/8/2014. Posts: 2

Posted by muzzaf on 21/9/2017 at 10:08

Sorry about being late getting back to you. I should mention to you to make sure to hire a motor bike in Dawei, Ye and Maylamyine
I did not book in advance in any of these towns for busses or hotels, I stayed at Kawthoung, Myiek, Dawei, Ye , and Maylamyine. I can help you with more details about accommodation and travel but it is an easy but very interesting journey. There are a few busses to choose from at each town. With the exception of Kawthoung, everyone I met were smiley and helpful. The town of Ye (the one mentioned) is as nice and accessible as the others towns.
Myiek to Kawthoung is overnight (11 hours) and you should not get off the bus and break your trip

#5 muzzaf has been a member since 22/3/2007. Posts: 11

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.