Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Mandalay to Luang Prabang

Posted by jojowilliams on 10/9/2017 at 17:37

I am planning a visit to Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia for January, traveling a lot by train and not covering the same route twice. And I'd like to avoid Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur if possible, but it might be necessary to fly through one or both.

All things considered I think I'd like to fly to Mandalay from Singapore, then overland to Yangon and fly from there to Luang Prabang , then overland to Vientane and elsewhere, or fly from Singapore to Vientane, overland to Mandalay, and to Luang Prabang from there. I'm having a lot of trouble getting information from the airlines. A route map of Air Asia would help but I can't find one. I've written them but so far no reply. There's a lot more to this journey than the above but this part I haven't solved. I can probably book something from Mandalay to either Bangkok or Singapore and from there to Luang Prabang, but I can't find a way to do that without spending a night there or taking a very late flight. It looks as if I should be able to fly from Mandalay to Chiang Mai on Bangkok Airways but I'm having trouble getting it booked. Also, I don't understand the Bangkok Airways Discovery Airpass. It seems the tickets are very expensive compared to Air Asia fares.

If I'm missing a better way to get from Myanmar to Luang Prabang I'd love to hear it.

#1 jojowilliams has been a member since 26/7/2017. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 11/9/2017 at 01:24 admin

Hi,

AirAsia used to have a route map on their website, but they appear to have removed it for some random reason—probably because passengers found it useful.

I'm not aware of direct Yangon to Luang Prabang flights - AirAsia would take you through Bangkok (or Kuala Lumpur) as I don't think they fly it direct. There is a morning flight from Mandalay that gets into Bangkok early enough for the flight to Luang Prabang—that would be the fastest way between the two cities.

I didn't realise the Discovery Airpass was still a thing—Bangkok Airways is almost always more expensive than AirAsia (tho, to be fair tends to be considerably more comfortable!) Yes Bangkok Airways flies Chiang Mai to Mandalay, but not every day.

Hope this is of some help!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,876
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by amnicoll on 11/9/2017 at 06:07

the easiest way to find where you can fly to from any airport is to go the the flight status page and trawl through the departures

At least you know where they fly and which airlines to search (always search by the day of the week you intend to travel in case flights not daily

http://www.yangonairportonline.com/flight-status.aspx

#3 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 873
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by jojowilliams on 11/9/2017 at 08:02

Thanks for the replies. The link to the Yangon airport arrival and departure monitor was great and is working. I searched for the same for Mandalay and just got a fake site with nothing but advertising, including businesses close to me on the Chesapeake Bay. I'll keep trying that but it seems a great idea for future difficult flight searches.

I'm not afraid to go some way other than airplane but I don't find any good alternative.

What I think I'll do is write a message to Bankok Airways and describe what I'm hoping to do and let them tell me what they can offer.

AirAsia finally responded this morning to my search for their flight route with:

"In regards to your email, you may check our flight destination through our official website www.airasia.com

Should you need further assistance, please feel free to utilize Ask AirAsia or follow us on Twitter or contact us via Live Chat available 24 hours for simple inquiries. You may also opt to submit an ?e-Form."

Their live chat hasn't been available since I began this search, and as they know, I already sent an e-form, which they ignored.

#4 jojowilliams has been a member since 26/7/2017. Posts: 6

Posted by jojowilliams on 11/9/2017 at 09:10

The airport flight status monitor was a great idea! I have found a good URL for Mandalay at https://www.mandalayairport.com/flight-status-arrivals-departures/

A bonus to using these status boards is that you can see which flights and airlines arrive on time and which airlines cancel their flights.

Thanks again!

#5 jojowilliams has been a member since 26/7/2017. Posts: 6

Posted by amnicoll on 12/9/2017 at 05:30

fine if you have a choice but I would not take major decisions based on one or two days monitoring.

I use them to see what might be possible and just as importantly for me times

getting any sort of response from airlines apart from direct conversation can be problematic

Hope things work out

#6 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 873
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by Herbie47 on 19/9/2017 at 05:09

Mandalay to Yangon is about the most uninteresting road in Myanmar, I think you should consider other places in Myanmar. You cannot go overland between Myanmar and Laos not unless you go via Thailand. 4 countries in 4 weeks is not a good idea. A lot by train? Not many trains in some of those countries (Cambodia/Laos) and Myanmar trains are not the best. Yangon to Bangkok then onto Luang Prabang, various airlines fly that route, check Nok Air, Air Asia, Thai Lion etc. Nok Air have free luggage on some routes.

#7 Herbie47 has been a member since 23/2/2011. Posts: 21

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.