Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Drinking water

Posted by FFfietsen on 31/8/2019 at 15:37

Hi, last year i travelled Myanmar for 14 days. I did a foodtour in Yangon and our guide explained that authorities provide clean drinkingwater throughout the country. Often found on large containers, allthough sometimes in claypots.
Next februar we will return to Myanmar by bicycle.

My question. Is this provided water save to drink. Don't mind paying to buy water, but don't want to buy plastic bottles if i can avoid.

#1 FFfietsen has been a member since 31/8/2019. Posts: 2

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by antoniamitchell on 1/9/2019 at 11:15

Hi. I noticed the clay pots of drinking water when i was in Yangon a few years ago, but I don't remember seeing them everywhere in the country, so they may not be very common outside some cities. But regardless of how common they are, i still wouldn't trust them.

How can you be certain the water a) started clean enough, and b) stayed clean enough? In Yangon, I saw plenty of locals dipping the attached cup in, having a drink, then leaving the cup for the next person to use. That seems to me to be a good way to share communicable diseases.

So if you don't want to buy bottled water all the time, you may be able to find reverse osmosis machines where you can refill your bottles, but apart from refill stations, your other option is treating water to make it clean (boiling / chemical / barrier filtration / combination of these / etc.)

Enjoy your trip

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 556
 Send antoniamitchell a private message   Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by koolaukid on 19/9/2019 at 11:13

Consider something like a Steripen or a Grayl water filter. I've used a Steripen for quite a while traveling with absolutely zero problems.

#3 koolaukid has been a member since 15/3/2009. Posts: 3
 Send koolaukid a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.