Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Travelfish on Burma (Myanmar)

Posted by somtam2000 on 17/10/2008 at 09:24 admin

I've just added a new section on the messageboard for discussion of Burma (Myanmar). This isn't to say we're planning on adding coverage of Burma to Travelfish, as we're not, but given there's the occasional post about it, it makes sense to have them all in one place for the benefit of all.

If there are any Burma experts out there who'd be interested in putting together some kind of a Frequently Asked Questions thing on Burma to post here in the messageboard, please drop me a line at stuartmcdonald (at) -- thanks!

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,651
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by classez on 20/8/2011 at 02:54

Why don't you want to add Burma to your site? I guess you don't like to current government.
Well neither do I.
But what about the people and their amazing diversity, culture, history?
They deserve your attention too.
I do not believe that isolation is the solution.
With respect.

#2 classez has been a member since 20/8/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by peteraust on 10/10/2011 at 10:28

While most people will not like the treatment the military government gives to its citizens, I agree that travel within the country should be encouraged to help the local people in someway. Sanctions and bouycots will not help the people who are trying to make a living. Our tourist dollars (kyats) will be of great help to many in Myanmar. It is a fantastic place to visit.

#3 peteraust has been a member since 10/10/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by altmtl on 10/10/2011 at 19:47

I agree with the Travelfish position... This is the position taken by RoughGuide:
Why don’t you publish a guide to Burma? "In the past we’ve discouraged readers from travelling to Burma as revenue from tourism is known to have helped fund and sustain Burma's oppressive political regime. We’re greatly heartened by the release of Aung San Suu Kyi and hope this will ultimately help open Burma to travellers. At the moment we’re not planning to publish a guidebook to Burma - such a guide would really depend upon sustained improvements in the political situation as well as on a proven and robust travel infrastructure – but we'll continue to monitor events in the region."
you can always use Lonely Planet...

#4 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Send altmtl a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by Lisa86 on 14/5/2012 at 19:01

Hi Im heading to SE asia the start of Sep I have around 16weeks and thinking of heading into Burma I havnt heard much about Burma.. can any1 give me advice on where to stay away from and some hight lights etc to see

#5 Lisa86 has been a member since 14/5/2012. Posts: 10

Posted by busylizzy on 14/5/2012 at 19:34

I'm looking at heading there next year but haven't done a huge amount of research yet. However, there are some great posts in this Burma section of the forum - I'd suggest you have a good read through to get some initial ideas. Posts from Tilapia and SBE are particularly helpful and informative.

There is some good stuff on this blog, too: - this links to one article, but read up on their previous posts, too.

Likewise, another informative article: Check out the other links on that site, too.

#6 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by greenings on 17/5/2012 at 11:13

Lisa, as well as the helpful advice from busylizzy, there is a mountain of useful info on the Tripadvisor Myanmar forum. Some of the trip reports have really helped us plan our visit next January.

#7 greenings has been a member since 18/4/2012. Posts: 9
 Send greenings a private message 

Posted by htun1997 on 29/1/2014 at 13:02

All of my friend see in this blog what is Burma. But it is not same the time on Army and Burma is the nice place not only Culture but also people are helpful.

#8 htun1997 has been a member since 15/11/2011. Posts: 10

Posted by classez on 29/1/2014 at 13:30

My husband and I spent almost a month Myanmar in November 2012. We were enchanted by the beauty of the country and the smiles of the people.Even though it is poor and in 2012 it was still a very harsh military regime, the people everywhere welcomed us with open arms. We travelled from Yangon to Mandalay, took a cruise on the Irrawady to Bagan then went on to Inle Lake and then to Ngapali beach for a week of rest (we were in our late 60's). We talked to many young people and they were very open about what they thought of their government. We use local people as guides as opposed to prearranged group travels. In this way money can go directly to individuals and not the government. I would strongly recommend the visit it is a beautiful and very interesting country rich in history and the diversity of its people.

#9 classez has been a member since 20/8/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by tamara_91 on 7/4/2014 at 03:30

what do you think about the Myanmar as the best tourist destination of 2014? do you think so?

#10 tamara_91 has been a member since 18/3/2014. Posts: 11

Posted by chengywong83 on 12/8/2014 at 02:15

Yes, traveled to Burma early this year just because I wanted to see Bagan, For a country like this, life is tough, but you see attitude of positivity and happiness. I strongly recommend this country if you travel to Southeast Asia, not very pack with tourist yet as compared to other countries like Vietnam and Thailand. My next travel list: Luang Prabang :)

#11 chengywong83 has been a member since 1/8/2014. Posts: 11

Posted by phuketrick on 4/10/2016 at 04:32

Email sent to ya,
I think i can really help out a lot, 5 trips to Burma in the past 2 years and heading back next month.
Its an opening amazing country and traveling is quite easy.changing fast as well
Reminds me of what it was like when i first moved to SE asia back in 1984 and why i still love it here.

Dont you think its time to add a Burma forum section??

#12 phuketrick has been a member since 18/3/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/10/2016 at 19:24 admin

This is the Burma forum section! :-) The main Burma forum page is here.

We've recently (in the last month) updated our coverage for Mandalay Inle Lake and Monywa - and the Far South was all updated at the start of the year, with more coming soon, but yes, fast changing country.

#13 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,651
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.