Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Itinerary and Visas for Myanmar

Posted by crisaniaf on 12/12/2008 at 21:37

We are currently in the middle of a six month trip around Asia and have just decided to add Myanmar to our Itinerary based on what we have heard from other travellers.

Reading our guide it seems the big four of Inle Lake, Mandalay, Bagan and Yangon should take about a month.

We plan to enter from Mae Sai in the north of Thailand and fly out of Yangon.

Has anyone done this Itinerary for Myanmar and if so do you think it is possible to do the big four in 3 weeks? Also can you get a Myanmar visa in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai and how long does it take to get?

Any tips on Weather during January in Myanmar and buses etc. are most welcome too.....

#1 crisaniaf has been a member since 21/11/2008. Posts: 6

Posted by katsnow on 6/5/2009 at 16:16

I would do some more research about traveling overland to Myanmar. From what I have read you need to fly in to get the 28 day visa. If you travel overland you are only given like a few days to renew your Thailand Visa. You can fly out of Bangkok pretty cheap with Air Asia BUT you have to begin and end in Yangon.....post information about your trip. I am heading out in a few months and would love to hear a recent recollection!

#2 katsnow has been a member since 24/7/2008. Posts: 13

Posted by Tilapia on 12/5/2009 at 01:47

Unless things have changed, you can fly to Mandalay from Chiangmai. Quite sure that you can also fly from Kuala Lumpur to Yangon.

#3 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,496
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.