Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Travelling via Burma from Thailand NE India

Posted by dan87leite on 1/9/2009 at 20:22

Hi,

I need some help. im travelling through SE asia and want to go from thailand through burma into the NE of India.

Does anyone know about current circumstances for british and irish passport holders entering from thailand and leaving out to india at the boarders?

thanks if you can give me any insight, i would really appriciate it.

dan

#1 dan87leite has been a member since 1/9/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by Tilapia on 2/9/2009 at 22:22

Hi Dan,

Are you thinking about doing this overland? If so, you will have to go through several massive stretches of the country that are off-limits to foreigners.

Things change so much and so quickly there that it is impossible to say yes or no to any questions regarding border crossings, though most of the times the answer is "no." I'd suggest that you speak to someone at a Myanmar Consulate and ask, telling them exactly where you want to go. Who knows? You may be able to do it, but you can be almost 100% sure that you will not be allowed to do this on your own. You will most likely require permits, and permits usually come with guides and the two together mean "expensive." They are not going to want anyone wandering around alone in these areas, especially around borders.

Otherwise, you're best and most affordable route would probably be to fly to Yangon, then from Yangon to Dhaka and see if you can cross into N. India there. Also, depending on where you're going in N. India, you may need more permits for there, as well.

Good luck.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,495
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by katsnow on 3/9/2009 at 12:03

From my research foreigners can only enter Myanmar on the 28 day tourist visa if they fly in. Airasia has a cheap flight from bkk to yagnon (rt about 100 usd) then you can fly from bkk to kolkata for about 125 one way and continue on by train.

#3 katsnow has been a member since 24/7/2008. Posts: 13

Posted by anotherlostsoul on 14/9/2009 at 17:45

You won't get a permit to cross the Myanmar / India border unless you're an Indian citizen. No flights from Yangon - Dhaka anymore either. Fly to Yangon from Bangkok and fly out to Kolkata / Gaya with Indian Airlines (Book this one WELL in advance).

#4 anotherlostsoul has been a member since 14/9/2009. Posts: 34

Posted by Tilapia on 15/9/2009 at 01:10

"No flights from Yangon - Dhaka anymore either."

Thanks for the update.

#5 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,495
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by idreamofdurian on 23/9/2009 at 22:48 TF writer

It cannot be done. Foreigners can only enter Myanmar by air (with the exception of short visits to border towns with Thailand).

That would be a fantastic trip though, huh? India to Singapore overland :D

#6 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.