Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Money in Burma

Posted by Nywoman on 30/9/2009 at 20:56

I know there are no ATM's and believe that $US is the preferred currency except when it is not.

What kind of denominations should I carry in perfect crisp bills?

If I only have $100 bills will I get change in $ or Kyat.

Thanks again for advice

#1 Nywoman has been a member since 28/7/2008. Posts: 39

Posted by Tilapia on 1/10/2009 at 02:49

Carry a bunch of small bills. I had a mess of $5's and lots of $1's. You'll need them for ferries, taxis, entrance fees to sites, and things like that, including your departure tax when you fly out. I'm not sure what it is now, or if it is even charged these days, so make sure you know before you head to the airport with no money.

When I went I insisted that I had no more U$ and ended up paying my departure tax with Kyat. They weren't impressed.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by idreamofdurian on 1/10/2009 at 14:56 TF writer

you get a slightly better exchange rate with $100s (compared to $20s). So use the big bills when changing to kyat (it's better to use kyat for small purchased in markets, shops, restaurants). If you pay with USD at a hotel, tour agency, etc. you can get your change in USD. In small shops, markets, etc. they'll take USD but your change will usually be in kyat.

#3 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.