Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

can you have a cell phone in burma ?

Posted by ilikrshortsongs on 31/1/2010 at 05:32

cant seem to find anything on this anywhere ! thanks

#1 ilikrshortsongs has been a member since 27/11/2009. Posts: 4

Posted by idreamofdurian on 31/1/2010 at 10:44 TF writer

Simple answer -- no.

Long answer -- Yes, but it would cost hundreds of dollars and you'd have to deal with the government.

#2 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by dawemmy on 5/2/2010 at 18:48

Yes, there are now prepaid international and domestic sim cards for purchase but you need to bring your phone with you.(those are expensive--the Thai ones work)
The amounts are 20, 50 and 100 USD and can be refilled at any mobile shop. Try Mother mobile and Anycall.

In ideardurian's answer, she was correct until recently. Before only GSM phones were available, about 1500 USD excluding the phone, application to government and 3-6 months wait.

#3 dawemmy has been a member since 12/1/2010. Posts: 9
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by peaceinBURMAnow on 17/3/2010 at 22:49

Exactly! I had no idea you could bring your mobile, but when I was there, people around me had the phone cards dawemmy described. They bought them there, in Yangon. I think $28 or so, and they expire after one month. no problem to send txts overseas and calls were okay too

#4 peaceinBURMAnow has been a member since 17/3/2010. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.