Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Cambodia visa in Sai Gon / HCMC

Posted by Archmichael on 18/3/2010 at 10:30

Has anyone had recent experience obtaining a visa at the Cambodian consulate in Sai Gon / HCMC? Quick turn-around or come back next day?

I realize visas are available on arrival to Cambodia, but we are entering at a small crossing (O'Yadao, b'twn Plei Ku and Ban Lung), and would like to have the visa in hand when we get there. (Though I know this is an option, we don't much fancy mailing our passports off to the Cambodian Embassy where we live.)

Thanks!

#1 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396
 Send Archmichael a private message 

Posted by Lother on 18/3/2010 at 22:52

I made that crossing in July, and visas are available on arrival at the O'Yadaw border crossing, so it's really no problem. The officials at that crossing are very nice and they didn't ever overcharge like they do at many other land crossings.

#2 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214
 Send Lother a private message 

Posted by Archmichael on 18/3/2010 at 23:17

Thanks, Lother. Given time frames for us in Sai Gon, it would be a bit of a hassle to deal with the consulate there, so it's good to know you had no problems at O'Yadaw crossing.

Which route did you take to get to Plei Ku and then O'Yadaw? We intend to spend a couple of nights in Kon Tum prior to heading for the border, and want to accomplish Kon Tum > Ban Lung in one day.

What was the state of the road on the Cambodian side when you traveled there?

Cheers!

#3 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396

Posted by Lother on 19/3/2010 at 23:50

Yeah, we were also in Kon Tum, a nice spot. We took a minibus from there to Pleiku . From Pleiku there are buses and minibuses to Duc Co near the border, from where moto drivers will take you to the crossing for about 60 000 dong. It's pretty easy, but literally no-one in Pleiku speaks English. My Vietnamese is pretty much non-existent, but sign language did the trick :).

The only problem with this crossing is on the Cambodian side - at least as of last July there was no onwards transportation of any sort apart from the border officials' car, which we ended up riding to Ban Lung. For more details, see my post on this thread:
https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/visabordercrossings/6629

#4 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214
 Send Lother a private message 

Posted by Archmichael on 20/3/2010 at 00:10

Thanks, Lother!

Sounds like an adventure. We're looking forward to heading that way in a few months.

BTW, where'd you stay in Kon Tum?

Cheers!

#5 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.