Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Bus from Siem Reap to Battambang

Posted by dandav on 20/5/2010 at 10:29

Hi All,
Does anyone have any suggestions on which bus company and how much for an A/C Bus and is this suitable for a 54y/o travelling alone?
Any GOOD standard a/c hotel/accom in Battambang?
How about a good tuk-tuk driver to take me around for 2 days?

#1 dandav has been a member since 25/10/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/5/2010 at 13:30 admin

Not sure on cost of bus off the top of my head, but for accommodation, see the accom section on our Battambang section. The Banan is good, Teo is aged, but going steady. If you want a splurge, La Villa is where it's at.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by mrparanoid on 21/5/2010 at 14:27

Phnom Penh Soriya Bus Company is decent enough I think.. Should be about $5, and takes 3 hours or so out of your day. From 6.30 in the morn until 13.00 or 14.00 (?) At least 6 or 7 departures.

#3 mrparanoid has been a member since 2/6/2008. Posts: 35

Posted by KazAussie on 21/5/2010 at 14:43

Hi I don't recall the name of the bus company but a good air-conditioned mini bus is not hard to find, about 2.5 hours.

For the best tuk tuk driver in Battambang try Sun Saveth . Saveth is a full time tuk tuk driver with very good English and a passion for his country as well as a great knowledge of the local area.

We met Saveth when we volunteered to teach at his school over Christmas. The School is located in a small village just outside Battambang. Saveth and some volunteer Cambodian teachers open an afternoon school (3 to 6pm) to teach kids English. They are assisted by volunteers who can choose to stay for as little or as long a time as they choose. We had a fantastic time (we are both 50 and were with our 21 year old son), it gave us the opportunity to connect with locals, do some good, and learn about the Khmere culture.

If you want to check it out, the school's web-site is http://www.kngo-home.org/. If you have a bit of time it is well worth while doing.

Cheers

Kaz

#4 KazAussie has been a member since 18/7/2009. Posts: 221

Posted by catepoe on 19/10/2013 at 09:20

Hello Everyone --

Any suggestions: We're about to head into the area (early December) and are trying to navigate bus transport. Specifically, to determine whether it makes any difference on whether to travel from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap and then Battambang or Phnom Penh to Battambang to Siem Reap?

Previous posts are very thorough, so no need to repeat what you've said. Just checking because it seems things can change in unexpected ways. Thanks!

#5 catepoe has been a member since 18/10/2013. Location: United States. Posts: 3
 Twitter   Facebook    Pinterest 

Posted by lemckeow on 5/11/2014 at 04:49

Hi, I caught the bus from Siem Reap to Battambang the other day for $6.50 with Capitol Buses. I'd also checked with Mekong Express (as I'd used them before to cross from Phnom Penh to Saigon and they were great) but they didn't have a service from Siem Reap to Battambang.
I caught the 9:30am bus and had to be at the Capitol Buses Ticket office (cnr Streets 10 & 9, near the Night Market) at 9:00am. A little bit of a wait before we all squashed into a small van that took us 5 mins down the road to the bus terminal. A range of buses here so check the sign in the front of their windows to make sure you get on the right bus, and check your ticket for your seat number to check that you sit on the right seat.

The trip took about 3.5hrs total including a 20min stop. The stop seemed a little weird as the bus pulled up in a town (sorry, didn't catch the name) and we were told that we were having a rest stop of 20mins. We all got off and stood around on the footpath. The bus then drove off. 20 mins later it returned, we all got back on and continued on. No problems.

On arrival at Battambang, we firstly arrived at a bus terminal a bit out from the centre of town. The tuk-tuks will be here to meet you and will give you all sorts of spin but you're ticket has already paid for you to grab your bags and get onto the next bus (which like I said is included in the cost of your original ticket). This next bus takes you right into Battambang centre (La He Street).
A very easy trip overall.

#6 lemckeow has been a member since 13/8/2014. Posts: 1
 Where has lemckeow been? 

Posted by GattinaRosa on 16/11/2014 at 21:39

Posted from within Vietnam.

We recently travelled with Rith Mony from Siem Reap to Battambang after our hotel booked tickets for us. After checking this company out, we read a lot about their awful safety record and poor levels of service.

I was worried about using them but we did get there in one piece. Some of the driving was questionable and the bus wasn't brilliant (at one point I was a staff member hitting the side of it with a spanner.... Goodness knows what he was fixing!!) - but travelling via bus in Asia is always full of both ups and downs.

We have used Mekong Express (both the mini bus from Battambang to PP and the big bus from PP to HCMC) and we've been very impressed both times.

#7 GattinaRosa has been a member since 28/7/2014. Posts: 18

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.