Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

hospitals in Cambodia

Posted by akhut on 1/11/2006 at 02:15

I am making my 1st trip to Cambodia this April '07. I am an RN and would like to visit the main hospital in Phnom Penh or Siemreap, or maybe both.. I need to research more into which hospitals, etc. I'd also like to donate some medical supplies... does anyone have any idea what is needed, or even just a contact person, someone who can help me in organizing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

#1 akhut has been a member since 1/11/2006. Posts: 5

Posted by exacto on 1/11/2006 at 02:56

akhut,

have you tried contacting the Cambodian Red Cross? their website is http://www.redcross.org.kh/.

perhaps you can contact the red cross or red crescent society in your own country to see if there are any bilateral programs with cambodia. regards.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,659
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by dtm39 on 2/11/2006 at 11:27

I would avoid the Cambodian Red Cross...one of the most corrupt organisations in Cambodia. My advice is to donate to an independent international NGO. Public hospitals will probably sell donated equpment/donations for personal profit. Private hospitals are profit making concerns. The reality is that Cambodia is a corrupt country.Sad, but true. Giving to an international NGO may ensure that your donations do some good, rather than lining someones pocket.

#3 dtm39 has been a member since 17/10/2005. Posts: 4

Posted by exacto on 3/11/2006 at 10:36

akhut,

perhaps you can contact your country's embassy in cambodia (if they have one - not everyone does of course) and see if they can recommend something and even set you up. cheers.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,659
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by dancingroads on 3/11/2006 at 13:07

One place that will appreciate your support and help is the kantha bopha children's hospital in Siem Reap run by Dr. Beat Richner...

A few links:
National Radio

Disc. on Tales of Asia

http://www.beat-richner.ch/

#5 dancingroads has been a member since 25/6/2006. Posts: 14

Posted by akhut on 3/11/2006 at 13:23

thank you everyone for your replies!

dancingroads, i checked out the websites and they were VERY helpful! i am a RN in the neonatal intensive care unit so i was looking for a children's hospital to visit so your info was perfect. i wonder how i would go about in setting up a visit with the hospital. i am so interested to see how the care is with preemies and ill newborns? anyhow, you set me in the right direction and i appreciate it. i've got more research to do! ;)

#6 akhut has been a member since 1/11/2006. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.