Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

travel from Siem Reap to Vientaine Laos

Posted by dayman on 30/5/2010 at 19:24

I am trying to get from Siem Reap to Vientaine in july and was wondering what was the fastest way to do this. Was hoping to do overland travel not fly. Any suggestions on train or buses travel would be a great help !

#1 dayman has been a member since 30/5/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by dano_b on 31/5/2010 at 05:33

It'll be a long ride and would be best done by breaking it up! From Siem Reap , buses go south as far as either Kampong Cham or Phnom Penh then back up through Stung Treng to the border. This part of the trip took a full day (leaving Siem Reap at 5am, arriving at the border around 5pm). A good idea might be stopping for a couple days in the 4000 Islands, just 30 minutes passed the border in Laos. From there, you can catch overnight sleeper buses from Pakse to Vientiane, maybe 9 hours or so, I forget exactly.

#2 dano_b has been a member since 20/12/2009. Posts: 24
 Send dano_b a private message 

Posted by yogakhaolak on 2/6/2010 at 10:11

The easiest and quickest way is to go through NE Thailand.
Cross into Thailand at the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing. Take the bus from the bus terminal in Aranyaprathet to Korat(Nakon Ratchisima). From Korat you can either take another bus or the train to Nong Khai, and from there cross into Vientiane.
If you leave early enough you could probably do it in a day.

#3 yogakhaolak has been a member since 1/4/2010. Posts: 45

Posted by dayman on 2/6/2010 at 13:56

thanks for the info!

I've decided to go from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh for a couple of days and then head to 4000 islands. The over night bus from there to Vientaine seems like the best option for me.

#4 dayman has been a member since 30/5/2010. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.