Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Trip recs for Phnom Penh

Posted by DandA on 4/10/2010 at 17:18

Hey all,
After taking so much from Travelfish and the forums I thought I'd give something back.

We visited Cambodia in July and had a great time throughout Phnom Penh and the South. A couple of recommendations:

We met Arun through the Boddhi Tree Hotel. He has since set up a website to do guided tours around Phnom Penh and surrounds. Lovely guy with amazing passion for the advancement of Cambodia. His website is:

Motorbike tours:
My husband did a 4-5 day tour through the mountains, Kep and Kampot with Dancing Roads. Paeng, who runs the tours is a fantastic, funny, charismatic guy. My husband rates the trip up there with one of the best travel experiences of his life. Hard single track riding and easier terrain mixed with homestays in local villages.

I made several drop ins and delivered some basic music workshops to some of the kids at Tiny Toones. Tiny Toones is a great charity aimed at using hip hop music, dance and art to educate young disadvantaged Cambodians about health issues and life skills. Even if you're not into music, it's worth visiting their drop in centre near the Russian market just to see the kids breakdance and rap. And if you've got time or dollars to donate, dig deep!

I did a great Khmer cooking course with Frizz Restaurant. Great food, excellent market tour and informative about produce and where it comes from. I'm a decent SE Asian cook and many cooking courses I've done in Thailand and Vietnam were a bit basic; however we made everything from scratch and the day was great fun.

Romdeng and Friends were great restaurants, if a little pricey, but well worth it.

Market food at the Russian Market was also excellent.

Hope some of these little tidbits help someone out there.

#1 DandA has been a member since 30/7/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by HammockTime on 14/5/2011 at 00:20

Hear hear to the cookery course at Frizz. One of the best fish amok's I experienced during my all too brief holiday.

#2 HammockTime has been a member since 14/5/2011. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.