Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Killed a Chicken. What happens next?

Posted by Rasheeed on 15/11/2010 at 16:20

So I'm in Cambodia, and I'm driving my motorcycle (3 days ago). Chicken runs into the road. I can't avoid it. I slam it, it shakes for a few second then dies. This is seen by a couple on a motorcycle and some small children in front of a house a few meters down the street. It happens that the chicken belonged to the grandmother of the house. What should I do?

I know what I did, but Khmers and others have disagreed as to if I acted appropriately. What would you do?

'sheeed

#1 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311
 Send Rasheeed a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by Voyagner on 15/11/2010 at 16:47

Go to the market and replace it?

#2 Voyagner has been a member since 12/7/2009. Posts: 30
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by busylizzy on 15/11/2010 at 16:50

I would have offered a few dollars to the grandmother. You're probably under no obligation, but a few dollars isn't a big deal to you, and it will make a small difference to them - not to mention a bit of good will.

I had a situation in Bali where a young kid (5-6 years) was playing in very narrow and busy street and ran out in front of our car. It was split second, and we had no warning. She was playing, and not looking. It was a god-awful moment getting out of the car to have a look but she was fortunately OK. Her foot was just slightly wedged under the edge of the car tyre, but it didn't go over it.

Even though she was reasonably OK (scraped foot although we didn't know if it was broken) and we were not at fault, we went to the hospital with the family. I knew we would end up paying something, and to be honest, we were happy to, but it was a nerve-wracking time as we didn't know how badly 'stung' we would be. After a bit of negotiating with the family and the hospital (fortunately I can speak enough Indonesian that got us through this) we settled on a reasonable amount. We also had some small token gifts that we were carrying around and gave something to the girl to try and cheer her up a bit.

So, while I strongly felt that we were not at fault - the girl just bolted out - and we ended up spending an hour or so at the hospital with the family, I felt that we did the right thing.

Anyhow - a chicken is not a girl, and I'm sorry to sidetrack your story.

I will be interested to hear both sides of what happened... what you did, and what the Khmers are saying!

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by 5acrefarmer on 15/11/2010 at 17:46

OK, someone's gotta ask . . .
Why did the Khmer chicken cross the road?

#4 5acrefarmer has been a member since 10/6/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 61
 Send 5acrefarmer a private message   Website 

Posted by Rasheeed on 15/11/2010 at 18:13

I could see in its eyes, as it took its last breath, a question... was it worth it? It seemed to think it was...

So farmer, why ever it did it, it had good reason.

'sheeed

#5 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311

Posted by sayadian on 16/11/2010 at 01:40

Well I'd have paid the farmer for it and to pluck it and eaten with the family.
Busylizzzy
What you did was highly commendable but could have been dangerous for you.Years ago I worked for a large reputable British Company in S.E. Asia and we were told that if we ever knocked someone down and there were other people around to tend that person NOT to stop but report it to the next police station.As a foreigner you are extremely vulnerable to mob anger.

#6 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by busylizzy on 16/11/2010 at 02:39

Sayadian, yes, I know what you are saying. Our actions could have been quite different if the incident had occurred elsewhere - ie in a different part of Indonesia that I was less familiar/comfortable with, or in a country where I had no knowledge of the language. I had heard the advice before about not stopping, and it quickly crossed my mind at the time, but I just don't know that I could ever do it. (Now a chicken would be a different story!)

So, Rasheed...... we're waiting for the next instalment!

#7 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153

Posted by Rasheeed on 16/11/2010 at 07:19

So to continue the story...

I walked over to the house and said sorry. One of the kids ran out and grabbed the chicken and tossed it in front of the house. Grandma comes out and looks down on it, sad so sad... so sad that I was pretty sure she was bsing. So I ask the question, how much she want? She asks for 30,000 riel (7.5USD). Some of the folks who have gathered in the front yard begin to laugh (note: I know that Cambodian laughter does not necessarily mean that something is funny ha ha, but here it seemed to be the case). Seems like a bit much to me so I call a Cambodian colleague. He doesn't answer. I tell grandma that I can give her 20,000 but if she wanted more I'd have to call my boss. Her family tells her to take it, which de does "sadly" and I drive off.

This is what I did...

To be continued.

'sheeed

#8 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311

Posted by Voyagner on 16/11/2010 at 07:25

Sounds fine to me, I would've thought a chicken would be about $5.

#9 Voyagner has been a member since 12/7/2009. Posts: 30
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by busylizzy on 16/11/2010 at 07:58

So far so good. I also had $5 in mind when you started this story (even though I'm sure a chicken is not really worth that much.)

Was the chicken still intact so that it could be turned into amok later that night? (Serves it right for running amok in the first place!)

#10 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153

Posted by Rasheeed on 16/11/2010 at 13:49

About 75% of the Cambodians I have spoken too say I did NOT do the right thing.

#11 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311

Posted by AbgAcid on 16/11/2010 at 13:54

Interesting story.
yeah, agree that a bit of money to compensate a loss in addition to the apology.
Bet the grandchildren had a good dinner that night.

#12 AbgAcid has been a member since 28/11/2009. Location: Malaysia. Posts: 162
 Send AbgAcid a private message 

Posted by swatral on 16/11/2010 at 14:29

So tell us - what should you have done?

#13 swatral has been a member since 1/9/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 16
 Send swatral a private message   Twitter 

Posted by sayadian on 16/11/2010 at 15:35

Got a feeling the Khmer thought this chicken should have gone to the wat?? Feed the monks?
I'll be over there in a couple of weeks so I'll do my own little survey.I am intriqued.
:-)

#14 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by Archmichael on 25/11/2010 at 10:47

Rasheed: Then what did the 75% of Khmer think would've been the right thing to do?

#15 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396
 Send Archmichael a private message 

Posted by williamducles on 26/11/2010 at 22:50

You pay more than its price to the owner. Happened to me when I was in school. They followed me and came to my house.

#16 williamducles has been a member since 23/10/2010. Posts: 19

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.