Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

itinerary advise for one week in northeastern cambodia to laos

Posted by malaysiangirl on 15/12/2010 at 01:45

Hi everyone!

I'm from Malaysia and I'll be traveling alone to Cambodia and Laos mid-january next year and so I came up with this rough itinerary for Cambodia for about a week.

day1: reach Phnom Penh
day2: leave Phnom Penh (I've been here before for a weekend) and head to Kampong Cham, stay a night at Kampong Cham
day3: Move on to Kratie (to see the dolphins!)
day4: Still in Kratie, spend the night there
day5: Leave for Ban lung
day6: Still in Ban lung
day7: Leave for Stung Treng , cross the border to Laos

Okay so my questions are:

1. Is it better to spend one night at Kratie and leave earlier to Ban Lung so I'd have more days at Ban Lung? or would it be too rushed?

2. or should I just give Kampong Cham a miss and head straight to Kratie from Phnom Penh?

3. Is it possible for me to go from Ban Lung to Stung Treng and then cross over to the Lao side in one day itself? or should I make arrangements for one night in Stung Treng?

I'm trying to plan ahead as much as possible coz I heard that that's the high season, and I'm afraid of just show up without reservations at a town only to find that the cheapo guesthouses I want to stay in are taken up.. or am I being too paranoid?! also I'd be grateful for just about any other advise you could possibly have..

on another note, anyone else doing the same route around the same time? if there's the possibility of a meet up..

Thanks for reading!

#1 malaysiangirl has been a member since 22/8/2010. Posts: 7
 Send malaysiangirl a private message   Website 

Posted by Rasheeed on 15/12/2010 at 07:57

I like Kratie a lot. I love Banlung. Haven't been to Kampong Cham in many years.

This is what i would do if I were you (that is, if I were a Malaysian girl who liked dolphins).

You don't have much time...

Day 1: Reach Phnom Penh
Day 2: Leave Phnom Penh for Kratie
Day 3 AM: Go see the dolphins
Day 3 PM: Leave for Banlung (1pm bus, arrive 7-8ish pm, know where you want to stay in advance)
(I can see staying a full day in Kratie and I would totally do that if you had more time. You can decide that morning.)
Day 4-6 Banlung (treks, waterfalls, elephants, swimming in the lake)
Day 7 leave for Lao (no need to stop in Stung Treng)

As far as lodging goes, there are a couple places in Banlung and Kratie that fill up sometimes. Not because they are so great necessarily, but because they are well known. Just in case you might want to get in touch with the place you're interested in in advance.

I'll be in Banlung in mid-January as well.

Drop me a PM or ask away here if you have more questions...

'sheeed

#2 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311
 Send Rasheeed a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by millipatti on 2/1/2011 at 05:03

Hi!

I don't know all the places you're talking about but I know Kompong Cham... and I love it. Not for the city per se (even if it's nice to walk around the market) but for the countryside which is very very nice. So if you decide to stop over you should stay at least two nights to have enough time to go around. In fact, I think you will have to make choices...

If you want the reference of a nice "jeep driver" in Kompong Cham, ask me in PM.

Good trip

#3 millipatti has been a member since 15/5/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by malaysiangirl on 2/1/2011 at 17:05

thanks guys for the great replies! definitely very useful, but sadly I've had to cancel my trip entirely.. hopefully it'll come in handy to anyone else planning to visit the same places or for me in the future :)

#4 malaysiangirl has been a member since 22/8/2010. Posts: 7
 Send malaysiangirl a private message   Website 

Posted by Rasheeed on 2/1/2011 at 19:30

Sorry to hear that. Very tidak bagus...

#5 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311
 Send Rasheeed a private message   Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.