Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Cambodia: Thai baht exchange for Riel ?

Posted by 5acrefarmer on 8/1/2011 at 14:34

Hi

Crossing into Cambodia from Thai very soon. I'll have about 3000 baht in my pocket and wondering if I should exchange that for US$ or Cambodian Riel. May only be in Cambodia for 2 weeks but think I'd get to spend the Riel although I also wonder if US$ are used so much I'll get stuck with the Riel. I have plenty of US$ already.

Also can anyone recommend which side of the border I would get a better exchange rate?

Thanks, Ian

#1 5acrefarmer has been a member since 10/6/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 61
 Send 5acrefarmer a private message   Website 

Posted by eastwest on 8/1/2011 at 16:12

Probably better rate in Cambodia but I wouldn't change it directly at the border. I don't know where you enter Cambodia but in the border towns on Cambodian side the Baht is commonly accepted, mostly quoted and best value. So if you intend to stay some time near the border....

As for the 3000 B.: Doesn't matter either way. You'll have plenty of time to spend that on small items (mototrips, cigarettes, water etc.). All bigger things are quoted in dollars so that would be useful as well. Just see what gives you the best rate.

#2 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778
 Send eastwest a private message 

Posted by 5acrefarmer on 8/1/2011 at 18:00

Thanks. First stop is Siem Reap for a few days. See what happens.

#3 5acrefarmer has been a member since 10/6/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 61
 Send 5acrefarmer a private message   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.