Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Stung Treng or Kratie for dolphins?

Posted by MamaH on 11/1/2011 at 07:44

Hiya, I'm planning my itinerary for a summer trip including some of Cambodia and have got stuck deciding whether to stop at Stung Treng or Kratie. I gather there are dolphins at both but which is best for tours / guesthouses etc? And am I missing anything more than dolphins in either of these spots?

#1 MamaH has been a member since 11/1/2011. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 4
 Send MamaH a private message 

Posted by raindog on 11/1/2011 at 12:43

I'd say Kratie for dolphins. Kratie is an interesting little town with a few guesthouses( I stayed at the Balcony GH) - its a short ride (45 min) ride to the point in the river where you head out to see the dolphins. Your guest house can organise transport. Another thing to do in Kratie is head over to Ko Treung from the dock in the main part of town, hire a bike and do the picturesque 9km circuit around the island (hire the bike when you get to the island - depending on the height of the river it can be a bit of a walk on sand from the boat to the start of the path). I really enjoyed my time in Kratie.

#2 raindog has been a member since 26/7/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 10

Posted by Rasheeed on 12/1/2011 at 11:13

Kratie's a good town. Other stuff to do other than the dolphins. Stung Treng, as far as I could see, much less happening.

#3 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311
 Send Rasheeed a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by katielane18 on 17/1/2011 at 04:31

I agree with the above posters. Go to Kratie . Stung Treng doesn't really have anything to offer. Kratie is a cute little riverside town that has other opportunities besides just the dolphins. I too stayed at the Balcony Guesthouse and loved it! I also hired one of their employees to go see the dolphins and he was great!

#4 katielane18 has been a member since 13/5/2010. Location: United States. Posts: 13
 Send katielane18 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.