Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Bangkok to Siem Reap overland with two young children

Posted by lolarosaliu on 19/1/2011 at 13:34

I'm planning travel from Bangkok to Siem Reap overland with two boys ages 6 and 9. I wonder if anyone has any feedback as to whether this would be feasible. I have read extensively about the long trip, the touts, the waiting around and visa hasslers. So I know that it is an adventure which I'm up for but need to consider if it would be something my kids can handle -- or maybe I'm up for it but should be sane and just fly....

Also, any feedback as to how safe it is? Not just road conditions but general feeling of safety.

Cheers and thanks for feedback in advance,

#1 lolarosaliu has been a member since 15/1/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by joniverstraete on 20/1/2011 at 09:47

The border crossing from Bangkok to Siem Reap is quite safe. The area is poi pet is very poor and kind of grim looking, but I wouldn`t call it unsafe. Just like anywhere else in the world just keep an eye on your kids, don`t let them wander around alone and tell them to stay by your side. Just because there are a lot of people walking around with big bags and trollies etc.

Also when arriving in Siem Reap and the taxi might stop in a taxi station and propose to take a tuk tuk to the hotel, don`t be scared. This is normal and they safely drop you off in the hotel.

When are you doing this border crossing, I`m making a trip to BKK and return to Siem Reap on 28/01 as well.

#2 joniverstraete has been a member since 19/1/2011. Posts: 4

Posted by lolarosaliu on 20/1/2011 at 10:21

Thank you for your reply that sets my mind at ease. We've travelled in Thailand before and we had no problems. I just want to know what to expect travelling to Siem Reap .

I've planned to leave for Siem Reap 27/01!

#3 lolarosaliu has been a member since 15/1/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by heng on 21/1/2011 at 16:42

I visit Phnom Penh regularly and have used Mr Heng’s excellent and affordable taxi service since 2009. I find Mr Heng to be a very reliable, safe, knowledgeable and efficient driver. His ability to speak English is very helpful. I will continue to use him and recommend his service to others in the future.
Yours sincerely
Philip Hewitt
First Secretary – Development
New Zealand Embassy

Contact Mr.Heng:
Email :
Mobile phone : +855 12 708 637
Local : 012 708 637-

#4 heng has been a member since 21/1/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by MADMAC on 21/1/2011 at 17:14

I'm with Senior Hewitt. That would be a hellacious bus ride with two young kids. It even sucks for me alone.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by vietnamrum on 22/1/2011 at 03:08

Posted from within Vietnam.

great article and site.

when you go by VIP bus there are always westerners on it. Just tag along with them and you will fine. the article explains the scams that go on.

#6 vietnamrum has been a member since 21/1/2011. Posts: 39

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.