Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Best social spots in Phnom Penh

Posted by Lisstarr on 21/12/2006 at 07:23

I am a 22yr old female who will be living in Phnom Penh for 9 weeks starting in early Jan. I will be both traveling and living on my own. I was hoping people could suggest bars and restaurants where I will easily be able to meet other travelers my age. Since I don't want to travel alone at night, places near the river (as opposed to the lake) would be appreciated! I would especially like to meet other back/flashpackers who I might be able to take some weekend trips to other locations in Cambodia with.

#1 Lisstarr has been a member since 17/11/2006. Posts: 6

Posted by princessdisaster on 22/12/2006 at 05:29

When I was last in Phnom Penh I stayed at the Okay Guesthouse which has a restaurant and a bar attached to it, this would probably be a good place to start, it was a comfortable relaxing place and there were always lots of back/flashpackers hanging out, everyone was very friendly. The Okay guest house is near the Royal Palace not far from the river. Sorry I don't know the actual address. While I was staying there I made friends with one of the moto drivers and went with him to meet his family and stay with them in their village over Cambodian New Year I had an absolute ball.

#2 princessdisaster has been a member since 30/11/2006. Posts: 36
 Send princessdisaster a private message 

Posted by Manticore on 23/12/2006 at 10:31

the address for Okay Guesthouse is:

Okay Guest House
#5 Street 258, Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh Province
Tel: (023) 986 534

you can also find a review by searching this site.

cheers,
Mark

#3 Manticore has been a member since 9/11/2006. Posts: 67
 Send Manticore a private message 

Posted by jhoebergen on 31/12/2006 at 12:23

Posted from within Vietnam.

you can check the 'friends' restaurant runned by kids from the street: kids are trained to make food in western quality: very nice food and friendly serving... and your money finds a good place!

cheers,

Jeroen Hoebergen

#4 jhoebergen has been a member since 18/12/2006. Posts: 6
 Send jhoebergen a private message 

Posted by Enrico_Gatti on 19/1/2007 at 23:45

Was there in October, before i arrived i was reccommened the Lakeside guesthouse. By far the best place. And just up the road is the Drunken frog Bar, this is all you need to know

Beware! When you get off the bus, if you take one, you will be harrassed beyond belief to stay everywhere. I wouldn't reccommend the Lazy Fish, not very secure and completely dead.

#5 Enrico_Gatti has been a member since 4/5/2006. Posts: 17

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.