Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Volunteer at English School, Stung Treng, Cambodia.

Posted by chikey on 10/3/2011 at 19:39

Hey Guys,
Had a really great experience recently whilst in Stung Treng, Cambodia. Most people pass through this little town on their way to or from Laos but if you do stay, even 1 night and you are a native English speaker (or even if your English is really good and it's your second language) the local students would love to practice their English with you!
Students at Stung Treng's 'Eastern International School' don't usually get the opportunity to get to talk to a westerner. It was almost embarrassing when I was there how excited everyone was. It can be hard for students to approach tourists without them thinking that there is some kind of tout involved, which I can totally understand. These kids/teens really need to talk to native speakers if their English is to improve. At the moment most of the teachers are students themselves. In fact at 26 I was the oldest person in the school by about 4 years.
If you are interested in going and having a chat for an hour between 5.30pm- 6.30pm (longer if you want) contact details are below.
Thanks for reading this and travel safe

PS Opportunities are also available to volunteer long term with food and lodging paid for by the school, ask the teachers for further details.

Eastern International School
Teacher: Bin Yan
Tel: 017580836 (Cambodia)

Teacher: Ravuth

#1 chikey has been a member since 1/1/2011. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.