Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Cambodia trip

Posted by stollie77 on 11/6/2011 at 18:36

In August / September my girl and I will be travelling to Cambodia for three weeks.We will visit Phnom Penh (3 nights), Battambang (2 nights) and Siem Reap (4 nights) but are not sure about the rest.

After having done some additional research on Cambodia we are considering to include three extra regions in my trip:
- Banlung and surroundings (4 nights, including travel)
- Kampot and surroundings (4 nights, including travel)
- Sihanoukville (2 nights)

Could anybody help me with the following::
- Are Banlung, Kampot (incl Bokor) and Sihanoukville nice and interesting places to go? Does anybody have experiences with this? What are the nicest things to do in those places?
- How are the road conditions towards Banlung in August/ September?
- How are the weather conditions in those places? Does it rain all the time?

Alternatively I could skip these places and go to parts of Thailand or Laos instead. Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

#1 stollie77 has been a member since 23/5/2011. Posts: 4

Posted by eastwest on 12/6/2011 at 13:51

All places you mention are worth a trip for different reasons. Banlung is for nature and really being away. Kampot for pleasant countryside. Kampot is great to rent a motorbike and explore the laid back area. Sihanoukville itself is not particularly interesting or beautiful but has a great social scene for backpackers and some beautiful beaches on the islands.

Weatherwise it's not the best time to visit with a lot of rain and muddy sideroads. The main routes in Cambodia are fine though.

#2 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778
 Send eastwest a private message 

Posted by KhmerWays on 19/6/2011 at 02:45

Banlung in August might be still okay to travel, but do not travel there in September as road conditions up there are just for experienced dirt bikers. The road to Banlung from Kratie is not paved. As eastwest mentioned, Snooky is not worth the money unless you wanna party, lots of backpackers. Kampot and Kep is just awesome, why not Siem Reap for a few days, we got plenty of things to discover, not just temples.
What I can recommend is Kratie, stay 2 nights in this little colonial river town. From there you can continue your journey to the Laotian boarder and stay a few days at the Mekong falls, lots of water in the rainy season, visit Wat Phu and head further to the Bolevan Plateau, where one of the best coffee is produced.

#3 KhmerWays has been a member since 7/6/2011. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 9

Posted by busylizzy on 19/6/2011 at 04:54

I can't comment on Banlung, and S'Ville doesn't appeal much to me after a quick drive-through and from I've heard, .... but Kampot I thought was great for a few days. It's a nice riverside town. The only thing is that getting to Bokor isn't as straight forward as it used to be if that is your main reason for going. Search on this site for previous discussions.

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by gocbus on 28/6/2011 at 12:54

My girlfriend and I are planning to be in Cambodia August 5-13. We will be in PP and S-ville most of time. Siem Reap is a must if you have never been to Cambodia. If you guys are looking for another couple to hang out with let me know. ^^ Good luck!

#5 gocbus has been a member since 2/5/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by Rasheeed on 1/7/2011 at 11:34

The road to banlung is much better than it was just a couple months ago. While not yet paved between Stung Treng and Banlung, it's flat and fast. 3.5 hours from Kratie to Banlung a week ago by Sorya. I couldn't believe it either.

It does some raining up here during wet season and travel to waterfalls, etc, by motorcycle is slower, but very doable and enjoyable. I swam in Yaklom Lake in the rain yesterday and it was awesome.

#6 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311
 Send Rasheeed a private message   Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.