Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Christmas in Cambodia?

Posted by thewanderer on 25/8/2011 at 17:24

Me and my Girlfriend are spending Christmas in Asia this year. We're aware that it's not generally celebrated but would like to stay somewhere nice for a couple of nights (24th - 27th December). Ideally our plan is to stay on an island, chilling at the beach and I think we will probably be in Southern Cambodia around that time.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

Cheers

The Wanderer

#1 thewanderer has been a member since 25/8/2011. Posts: 9

Posted by AbigailatPenhandInk on 25/8/2011 at 17:55 TF writer

Try Bamboo Island (Koh Russei) off Sihanoukville or Rabbit Island off Kep - both lovely, but rustic.

#2 AbigailatPenhandInk has been a member since 9/11/2010. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 179
 Send AbigailatPenhandInk a private message   Website 

Posted by eastwest on 25/8/2011 at 18:20

Good recommendations from Abigail.
It depends mostly on your budget and requirements. Both islands are very rustic indeed so only suitable for a backpacker christmas. For a more upmarket experience with "normal" amenities mainland Kep is probably your best bet for the chill factor.

#3 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778
 Send eastwest a private message 

Posted by thewanderer on 25/8/2011 at 18:26

That is awesome, those suggestions sound great Abigail. I'll definitely have a look into those places.

Eastwest, we were willing to spend a bit more cash for those few days to be honest, to make it a bit more special and relaxing.

How much would you say it would cost for a few nights in Kep? Staying in a nice hotel near the beach?

Cheers

The Wanderer

#4 thewanderer has been a member since 25/8/2011. Posts: 9

Posted by eastwest on 25/8/2011 at 18:47

For $30 - $40 per night you can have an A/C bungalow/room and most guesthouses in that range have swimming pool as well. Some places might raise prices though, so check carefully.
There are even a few places with decent rooms for $10-20 but the $30 -40 range has the most choice.

From Kep you can do easy day trips to Rabbit island and even spend a night if you decide on the spot. It will be busy though.

Kep doesn't have a proper beach though. Just a gorgeous quiet natural coastline

#5 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778
 Send eastwest a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.