Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Kampot/ Kep

Posted by kara_12 on 1/10/2011 at 14:56

Hey guys,

We are a couple in the mid 20s travelling around SEA and was wondering on what peoples opinions are on Kampot /Kep. Are they woth a visit? We look doing different activities and am a little worried we might get a little bored.

The main reason I would like to visit Kampot is for Bokor Hill tour, are tours still running?

#1 kara_12 has been a member since 7/8/2011. Posts: 9

Posted by bpsea on 1/10/2011 at 20:11

I went to Kep last year, and there is plenty to keep you occupied for a few days. Very good fresh fish as well at the restaurants if that is your thing?

We visited a pepper plantation to sample some of the regions famous produce, and also visited Phnom Kompong Trach which is a cave with some rocks 'shaped' like animals, which was reasonably interesting.

#2 bpsea has been a member since 1/10/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by eastwest on 2/10/2011 at 09:27

What sort of activities are you referring to?
For day excursions Kampot/Kep is fine with beautiful countryside. Although none of the excursions are mind-blowing. Kampot/Kep is best enjoyed if you want a laid back time with a few things/activities to keep you occupied. 2-3 full days should be good for you. 1 day Bokor (which is open for tours) and 1-2 days visiting some places in the surrounding countryside.

If you're more looking for activities such as surfing, kayaking and so on, Sihanoukville is better.

#3 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778
 Send eastwest a private message 

Posted by chinarocks on 3/10/2011 at 15:11

I would definitely recommend Kampot / Kep for 3-4 days. I wouls suggest you base yourself in Kampot (the Bodhi Villa Guesthouse is excellent) and then hire a motorbike and head out around the surrounding countryside, stopping off in Kep for a fresh seafood lunch. There are pepper plantations in the area, some interesting caves and just beautiful countryisde. Try and make it back to Kampot then for a sunset beer by the river ($2 for a jug of Angkor).

A very relaxing, interesting and cultural place to spend a few days for sure.

#4 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 738

Posted by altmtl on 3/10/2011 at 16:10

I'm planning to go there as well... Thinking about Rabbit island also - :)

#5 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Send altmtl a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by Archmichael on 4/10/2011 at 10:21

I liked it down there ( Kep & Kampot). We stayed at Kep Lodge, but spent one night on Rabbit Island, which we enjoyed immensely. It was sort of a mid-journey break for us. Kep is quiet and relaxed. No really good beach there, but the one on Koh Tonsay (Rabbit Island) is ok, and there is inexpensive, beach-side massage available. Lots of crab to eat, as well.

As others have said, pepper plantations & cave temples in the vicinity. My understanding about Bokor - someone else feel free to jump in here - is that it's under redevelopment and access is limited. I've heard one can get a certain way up the hill by vehicle, then you're on foot from there.

Happy travels!

#6 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396
 Send Archmichael a private message 

Posted by thebananahouse on 4/10/2011 at 11:37

Kep and Kampot are great destinations in southern Cambodia, and you will have enough activities to keep you busy or 2 - 3 days. Bokor can be visited with a tour that you organize through your guest house or through one of the tour operators in Kampot town. It is a full day tour so that is one day of your stay. So say you arrive here on day one around noon, you check into your guesthouse and rent a moto for the rest of the day to visit the pepper plantations near Kep and maybe have a late lunch of excellent crab in Kep. Then return to Kampot and spend the evening with a riverside walk and a dinner some place on the river. The next morning you go on your Bokor tour. I think the tour finishes with a boat ride around 5 or 6 pm. You have dinner some place and if you are in a hurry, head out the next day to your next destination. If you have a bit more time, you can spend one night on Rabbit Island just off the coast in Kep, you can visit some caves in the area, bike ride or moto ride in the country side, visit a pepper plantation, hike to sunset rock in Kep, do a mangrove tour in Kampot with a smaller boat, or check out the various tour operators for more options.

#7 thebananahouse has been a member since 4/10/2011. Location: Global Village. Posts: 7
 Send thebananahouse a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by KevandJho on 6/10/2011 at 10:49

We've allotted 3 days for both Kampot and Kep in our 32 day itinerary. Rabbit island was also a one day option.

From what I've read about these places, I already know it's not going to be enough. They both sound like excellent, laid back destinations!

The big allways, is that we don't want to cut time off of our other destinations either.

Can't wait until I retire!

#8 KevandJho has been a member since 15/9/2011. Posts: 65

Posted by kara_12 on 7/10/2011 at 11:06

Thanks everyone for your replies
Kampot/Kep sound like a good place to chill out for a couple of days but its disappointing about Bokor. The more I read about it the more it sounds like its not worth doing as a result of the construction.

#9 kara_12 has been a member since 7/8/2011. Posts: 9

Posted by eastwest on 7/10/2011 at 14:02

I wouldn't say Bokor is not worth it anymore.
Yes, there is construction going on but it's a huge area and construction is only in 2 locations (at least last time I went there).

A visit is still very worthwhile for the view alone and some of the old abandoned buildings are still untouched. Perhaps play it by ear and make it a last minute decision. Too early to scrap it off the itinerary now

#10 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778
 Send eastwest a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.