Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Pailin to Siem Reap

Posted by skipfeeney on 12/10/2011 at 18:02

Hi,

I am wanting to go on this little used border crossing to get from Koh Samet (thai) to Siem Reap. Is it easy to do? and when i cross the border where can i get a taxi from or do i need to pre book?

Thanks all

#1 skipfeeney has been a member since 12/10/2011. Posts: 7

Posted by eastwest on 12/10/2011 at 18:26

I can't comment on the border crossing since I haven't crossed there but I have traveled to and from Pailin . Pailin is not far from the border and I assume it will will be easy to find a ride to Pailin on either motor or car taxi.

Once in Pailin things are easy. There are regular (mini)buses going to Battambang over one of the best roads in Cambodia. Pailin to Battambang should take you roughly 1.5 hours. Minibuses (the real local variety) to B'bang go all through the day and the big buses leave in the morning for the big cities (Phnom Penh) further away and will stop in Battambang. From Battambang things are "normal" and it's definitely worth it to spend some time there before heading up to Siem Reap.

#2 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by sayadian on 13/10/2011 at 19:22

'over one of the best roads in Cambodia.'

So they've finally paved the road.Cambodia is moving rapidly now.
I'll bear that in mind as I love the countryside around this crossing.

#3 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by amnicoll on 13/10/2011 at 19:24

Assume you mean via Ban Pakard / Phsa Prum in which case no problem from th border and as eastwest says easy journey to SR

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 686

Posted by skipfeeney on 13/10/2011 at 22:29

Thanks for your help - i am a little nervous about this part of the trip as I cant find any info!

What would be a good price for a taxi - Ban Pakard - Siem Reap? Also do i just flag one down from the street?

Thanks

#5 skipfeeney has been a member since 12/10/2011. Posts: 7

Posted by eastwest on 14/10/2011 at 11:07

Flagging down a taxi? Ban Pakard is certainly not New York.

Although I haven't crossed this border I don't think you should have any problems. Just read up on information about other crossings and you'll have a good idea about what to expect.

From the border take any transport to Pailin and try to find a real taxi in Pailin. At the border you will find inflated prices because you just arrived. Better to just get to Pailin, get your bearings and get taxi from there. If you get overcharged from border to Pailin it will only be a few dollars.

Taxis in Cambodia don't have any signs (a few just showed up in PP) and are just private cars. You just have to ask around and that's another reason why you should do it in Pailin. Better to go to a cafe or the taxi stand, sit down and ask people if they know a taxi and what the price is. I'm sure that in no time you will have some offers and you can take your pick of best car, driver and price.

#6 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by amnicoll on 14/10/2011 at 17:34

Agree do NOT even try to get transport all the way from the border. Do as suggested and get shared taxi or motor bike taxi to Pailin .

You may find a taxi going all the way from Pailin to SR but I doubt it and you would be best going first to Battembang and getting a second taxi or a bus from there. If you ask the taxi driver from Pailin he will drop you at the right taxi station or the bus station

#7 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 686

Posted by Roger58 on 16/10/2011 at 04:30

I was there last month, just 1h30 : http://cambodiaa.com/itinerary.php?dep=battambang&arr=pailin&lg=&ud=km

BR

#8 Roger58 has been a member since 5/7/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by skipfeeney on 18/10/2011 at 20:56

Thanks all - Will it be ok to do this route with the current rains / flooding?

#9 skipfeeney has been a member since 12/10/2011. Posts: 7

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.