Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Business visas at Poiphet border

Posted by stanleyknives on 13/10/2011 at 14:30

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about obtaining business visas as the Poiphet border entering from Thailand. I've read that you just tick a box saying you want it basically, but what with various people mentioning "issues/scams" doing this journey (bangkok - siem reap) I wanted to have my bases covered. Is it straightforward to get this form of visa here or will I have trouble?

Many thanks

#1 stanleyknives has been a member since 13/10/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by KirstyB on 13/10/2011 at 17:32

The guys at immigration will definitely try it on if you're applying for a business visa. You are correct all you need to do it tick the box and hand over the correct money ($25 from memory). However they will probably try to tell you that you need a whole load of paperwork confirming your employment etc etc, but as you haven't got that, no worries, they'll be able to process it for you for an additional $20-odd! You'll just need to stand firm and be quietly adamant that you know the requirements. More than once at border crossings I've very calmly said "really? that's not right ...... only this morning I phoned the immigration office in abc (Phnom Penh, Vientiane etc) and they told me all I needed was xy&z ....". By adding the "this morning" or "yesterday afternoon" it's not so easy for them to try and tell you the rules have recently changed! If you're calm, polite and stand your ground you should be OK.

#2 KirstyB has been a member since 27/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 151
 Send KirstyB a private message   Where has KirstyB been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by stanleyknives on 15/10/2011 at 10:16

ok cheers!

#3 stanleyknives has been a member since 13/10/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by Rasheeed on 18/10/2011 at 03:14

I found that when you apply for the business visa they give you less trouble than when you apply for a tourist visa. Like you know enough that they won't waste their time trying to squeeze you for more. Meanwhile, those applying for tourist visas may get asked to pay more for their visas than you paid for yours.

'sheeed

#4 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311
 Send Rasheeed a private message   Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.