Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City

Posted by jobsyjoe on 13/11/2011 at 23:14

Hi all

We've got 12 days to get from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City.....

i was just wonderwing what is the best things to do along this route and in these cities, havent really got any plans yet and was just looking for a bit of guidance on some things if you could answer any of the quesions it would be great.

Is this a good plan or would we be better to fit in siem reap?

What would you do for new years in PP and where abouts should we be looking at staying???

is the bus the best way?

whats your highlight of the cities?

will we need cash? or will a bank car be sufficient?

did you get any vaccsinations?

any help would be great
j

#1 jobsyjoe has been a member since 13/11/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by steviej on 14/11/2011 at 15:25

Hi Jobsyjoe,
If you were to walk about 22km a day you'd make that journey on foot in the time you've got, bar border formalities.
Seriously though, you'll have plenty of time to visit Siem Reap and Angkor is stunning so I'd say definitely do it.

As for accommodation, that's highly dependant on your budget.

Vaccinations? you need to see your doctor as you'll most definitely need some (depending where your from).

Getting to Ho Chi Minh is relatively easy. We took the Passager Boat from Phnom Penh to Chau Doc at the border, at the time we crossed the border (2007) you had to have a Vietnamese Visa before you set off from Phnom Penh, which, at the time was painlessly easy to do.

ATMs are pretty widespread in Cambodia so having a card is the way to go with a stash of cash as back up.

Anyway, enjoy Cambodia it's a really cool place to visit.

Take care and happy travels
stevie

#2 steviej has been a member since 18/3/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 266
 Send steviej a private message   Where has steviej been?   Website 

Posted by sayadian on 14/11/2011 at 20:53

The easiest way to get from Phnom Penh to HCMC is to take the Sorya bus from the Sorya bus station which is near the main market.It takes about 6 hours

#3 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by KatMachine on 22/1/2012 at 07:38

I rode with Capitol bus and it was actually a great ride, hassle free and comfortable. It took us 6-8 hours. Here is an entry in my blog about it. Maybe it can give you an idea how it is.
Edit: snip - please no blog drops like this

#4 KatMachine has been a member since 8/2/2011. Posts: 26
 Send KatMachine a private message   Twitter 

Posted by MADMAC on 22/1/2012 at 11:52

I don't know if there are flights between Siem Reap and Saigon, but Siem Reap does draw a lot of people for a reason. Since you mentioned it...

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.