Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

PP to Kampot

Posted by giroffle on 21/11/2011 at 01:09

Is it possible to get a bus or taxi from PP to Kampot Kampot it possible to do a day trip....what is the journey there anywhere closer I can go in the get pepper and maybe get a glimpse of the pepper plantations

#1 giroffle has been a member since 27/7/2011. Posts: 41

Posted by busylizzy on 21/11/2011 at 02:15

You will easily get a bus to Kampot from PP - just ask some of the travel agents or at your guesthouse. I think it took between 4 and 5 hours and cost $4.50 2 years ago. Kampot is a nice riverside town - a great place to chill for a few days.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by chinarocks on 21/11/2011 at 02:48

Would secong all of BL's comments.

Think I took the bus from PP to Kampot at about 1 p.m. I would recommend going all the way to Kampot and not settling for somewhere closer to PP, it is only 3 hours after all!!

Consider hiring a motorbike for a few days and zipping over to Kep for seafood lunch and around to the caves and pepper plantations also.

Really ace spot is Kampot. Enjoy.

#3 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 738

Posted by eastwest on 21/11/2011 at 05:01

I agree with all of the above but I got the impression that OP was considering visiting Kampot as a day trip just to visit a pepper farm and that wouldn't be so wise. Yes, it can be done if you take the first bus at 7 am (arrive around 11am in Kep ) get a tuk tuk, visit a pepper farm and go back on the last bus at 1 or 2 pm.

In all honesty that isn't worth it. A pepper farm may be interesting but you're literally looking at plants growing. Guides, farmers or tuk tuk drivers hardly have anything exciting to tell about the pepper. I'd say, safe yourself the trip and money and buy the pepper at a PP market or souvenir shop.

And for your information: The best Kampot pepper comes from around Kep. It's called Kampot pepper because Kep used to be part of Kampot province and the pepper was named after the province and not after the town.

#4 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778
 Send eastwest a private message 

Posted by whardy on 23/11/2011 at 00:45

Why not spend the night in Kampot? It's a lovely town, very chill. No need to rush through it, take your jacket off and stay awhile :)

#5 whardy has been a member since 14/11/2011. Posts: 66

Posted by giroffle on 23/11/2011 at 01:14

Hello again...many thanks for your replies....we are currently in Laos but are considering changing the plan a little here...which means we may have a few extra days in Cambodia (we enter via Stung week)...I think we will stop over in Kampot for a couple of are right eastwest...I was going to squeeze it in, in a day...but not worth at least a night or two...that way we can visit Kep too.

Thanks again

#6 giroffle has been a member since 27/7/2011. Posts: 41

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.