Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Koh Rong in August

Posted by helixusion on 5/2/2012 at 20:35

Hi All,

I am glad that I didn't find much info about the place on the LPs and RGs ! Wanted to get an overview of the place from first hand travelers regarding budget, accommodation and getting to/around the island.

August being the rainy season in SEA, is there a chance of weather playing a serious spoilsport, considering the island is in the Gulf of Thailand, which receives comparatively lesser rainfall than the Andamans.

Any tips and suggestions about Koh Rong will be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,
Sion

#1 helixusion has been a member since 24/7/2011. Posts: 26

Posted by dastott on 11/2/2012 at 05:41

The Gulf doesn't get less rainfall it is just more evenly spread throughout the year in Ko Samui and surrounds. Around Ko Chang, which is close to Cambodia, heavy rainfall affects island life from May to October. Would guess Ko Rong would also be very wet in August but I would love to be wrong.

#2 dastott has been a member since 29/4/2009. Posts: 14

Posted by giblet on 17/2/2012 at 23:50

Everything here is first-hand: https://www.travelfish.org/location/cambodia/southern_cambodia/sihanoukville/koh_rong

It will be wet in August, but the rainy season here isn't too awful.

#3 giblet has been a member since 29/11/2010. Posts: 39

Posted by eskim0 on 12/3/2012 at 20:45

Hey Sion,

I spent about 5 days on Koh Rong in mid August 2011. There were a couple of rainy days mixed with a couple of stunning days. Personally, I would endure a few rainy days just to experience the good days - it is a stunning place. Bottom line - it was one of my favourite parts of Cambodia.

There were 3 accommodation options nearby to the pier/wharf where you'll arrive by boat - book in advance obviously. I think prices started at $15 per bungalow per night... get info from S'ville. There was another few bungalows in the village on the 'other side' of the island which looked quite interesting. Most info can be obtained from the travel agents in S'ville.

Enjoy.

#4 eskim0 has been a member since 25/7/2011. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.