Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

emergency money during Khmer new year bank closures

Posted by sayadian on 14/4/2012 at 19:31

I have a friend who is in dire straights and needs a transfer of funds now but its Khmer New Year and all the banks will be closed until Wednesday.Any Travefishers can help on this one? This is a real emergency!
Western Union offfices etc? which are open during holiday

#1 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by altmtl on 14/4/2012 at 20:00

All I can say is that he should of planned ahead [img]smileys/frown.gif[/img]

I met a guy who had to leave Laos after 5 days because he ran out of cash and had to borrow from friends. His ATM card from his country did not accept transactions from Laos, nor did he bother to get a large amount of Thai baht before entering that would of been easy to change... visa for nothing - I guess & he didn't even get to see the country.

#2 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Send altmtl a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by exacto on 14/4/2012 at 23:50

Sorry to hear it. It won't help your friend now, but I know that when I travel I always try to keep a few days supply of USD or Euro on hand just in case of situations like that. But that comment is more intended for travellers who may be reading this post and not your friend.

Is your friend foreign or a local?

I'm guessing that an ATM withdrawal isn't an option. What about a credit card cash advance from a gold shop or some other shop like that? I don't know if Cambodian businesses do that, but I've seen it done in Thailand and maybe even in Laos.

What about the pawn shop scene? Do they have anything of value they can put up as collateral for a short-term loan at a pawn shop? It will be expensive but beats starving.

Good luck.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,679
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.