Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Quick Q about killing fields and S-21

Posted by time2fly on 19/4/2012 at 10:36

On I phone so excuse spelling !!!

How long does it take to explore each site? We have to be at the Airport by 1600 for a flight to Bangkok... Also what are you are you paying for a tuktuk to both?

#1 time2fly has been a member since 18/1/2012. Location: Canada. Posts: 112
 Send time2fly a private message 

Posted by chinarocks on 19/4/2012 at 12:05

Killing Fields is out of town (14 kms I think) while S-21 is very much in the centre. You won't get to do both in one day (not comfortably anyway). The choice is yours, both very gruesome. You won't need a tuk tuk to get to S-21, I remember it was a 15 minute walk from our accomodation. You may $8 return for the Killing Fields.

If you have a half day, a good option could be to go to S 21 and the Royal Palace.

#2 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 738

Posted by time2fly on 19/4/2012 at 13:24

Thanks!!! I'll have from about 9-3 to complete all!!! I've been rush all month ..... If I learned one thing, 3 weeks is not enough for Thailand and Cambodia !!!

#3 time2fly has been a member since 18/1/2012. Location: Canada. Posts: 112

Posted by busylizzy on 19/4/2012 at 14:38

If I learned one thing, 3 weeks is not enough for Thailand and Cambodia !!!
Now can you pls start preaching that to the masses!

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by tinoh on 20/4/2012 at 04:24

If you have 9-3 and you want to do both than you have time enough.. 2 hours at both sites is sufficient time IMO.

#5 tinoh has been a member since 13/2/2010. Posts: 40

Posted by tyler on 20/4/2012 at 10:25

If you get up early you should be able to do both (2 hours each place should be enough time) but you might be pressed for time depending on when you leave for the airport.
It shouldn't cost much more than $10-12us to get a tuk tuk to take you to both places and return you to your guest house. I recommend getting a guide at the killing fields - very informative for a few dollars.

#6 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Send tyler a private message   Where has tyler been? 

Posted by time2fly on 25/4/2012 at 00:08

I was able to do both with time to spare for lunch and some pints.. I am not sure if this is new or not but I did not need a guide for the killing fields because they give you an auto player/ear phones in your admission. I think it was around 10.00. Each site has a number which you punch in and he tells you the storey. That place was very disturbing!!!

#7 time2fly has been a member since 18/1/2012. Location: Canada. Posts: 112

Posted by sayadian on 25/4/2012 at 00:47

Something I'd like to put right.The Killing Fields are all over Cambodia, not just the one popular with tourists in Phnom Penh.

If you fancy a more interesting trip take a minivan to Kampong Speu about 1 hour on highway 4 past the airport. Get a motodop to take you to Ampe Phnom Resort.

In the finely built pagoda there is a Chedi of bones, skulls and gruesome of all, the remnants of clothes of the victims. After that you have beautiful countryside surrounding the river (which you can bathe in if you want) Monkeys to feed and lots of stalls and huts to sit in selling you all kinds of good food. Lots of beautiful walks, including one which crosses the river on a rope bridge.You won't regret visiting this beautiful spot.All it takes is an adventurous spirit.

#8 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by time2fly on 25/4/2012 at 05:53

Yes, I have read of that.. I will check it out when I return, which I will!!!

#9 time2fly has been a member since 18/1/2012. Location: Canada. Posts: 112

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.