I wish to share my unpleasant experience with Popular guesthouse in Siem Reap for the benefit of all potential visitors to Siem Reap.
1. BAD SERVICE FROM GUESTHOUSE STAFF
One night, the staff were partying late with loud music. I went down to request them to stop cos the guests cant sleep in peace and my friend and I need to wake up early the next day. Their staff replied that they are celebrating a Chinese festival and insulted me as a Chinese I do not even know my own festivals well! They said if I am not happy I can always check out! What kind of attitude is this!! They claimed that they will stop by 10pm but till 11plus pm they still partying with loud music! That was Good Friday night. There was a power trip and without fans/aircon, guests already cant sleep comfortably already, worst with this loud music??
2. TUK TUK DRIVER OVERCHARGE DOUBLING OF OTHER TUK TUK DRIVERS. BAD ATTITUDE FROM TUK TUK DRIVER
1. The below is the prices from Popular guesthouse tuk tuk driver and other drivers(ave prices offered by drivers from other guesthouses):
Popular guesthouse driver | Other guesthouse driver
small tour USD15| USD10
grand tour USD22| USD12
Special tour(Banteay Seri etc) USD32| USD20
My friend and I are CHEATED EXTRA USD27 more!
2. Bad attitude - He negotiated the timing to start his day at 7.30AM. How can a driver negotiate the time to start work when we customers are paying him?
3. HE CHEATED US OF USD27 AND SAID WE ARE SMALL FRY!
4. After visiting each temple, he often hid in a corner making us difficult to locate him to go to next destination. In fact, good and responsible drivers should ensure that their passengers are safe and sound and look for them if they are gone for too long.
5. On the day we paid him USD32 instead of market rate of
USD20, he did not bring us to land mine museum as requested. HE JUST COMPLAINED HE IS VERY TIRED! WHAT KIND OF ATTITUDE IS THIS! I HAVE PAID SO MUCH FOR THIS TREATMENT? DRIVERS MUST SEND PASSENGERS TO REQUESTED LOCATIONS!
6. He told us the meal with Aspara dance cost USD5 but it came out to be USD12!
7. Upon making payment to him on day3, he just ignored and not bothering what we say, more interested in talking to his friends and gambling card games.
8. On the day with small tour, he just took us to Bayon and told us to walk to the rest of the 6/7 temples which are so far away. If we could complete touring all the temples with walking, would I engage in booking a driver then?
REMEMBER THE DESCRIPTION OF THIS TUK TUK DRIVER:
Dear all, I did not get his name. All I know is he is driving a tuk tuk with the wordings "Mr Rock" written on his vehicle beside the map of Angkor temples. The back plate of his tuk tuk has the wordings "SAFETY FIRST".
My suggestion: Pls do not engage in any service by Popular guesthouse since they have bad staff and tuk tuk drivers. Travelling should be a happy experience and I do not wish anyone to be cheated by this "black shop" again.
#1 Pohchaco has been a member since 8/4/2007. Posts: 1