Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Siem Reap- 4000 islands- South Thailand without much hassle- is it possible?

Posted by HanoiMargarita on 2/9/2012 at 07:11

Please, help, I cannot decide myself. I have been in Siem Reap for a few days and feel like I really have to move on, but cannot decide in which direction. I have a heavy luggage after traveling in Asia for 5 months, which is a pain and a main reason I am not very mobile when it comes to changing transport. With my 3 bags it is impossible to walk in streets either.
I was thinking of going to 4000 islands, then to South Thailand to see the best there, and then return to Chiang Mai where I started my journey from. I am quite confused with all the information regarding crossing Cambodia-Laos border, and I am not sure if I will be able to visit 400 islands at all.
If that is too much transportation problem I would probably think of going to South Thailand right from SR, but again, I do not know what place is worth to visit. I like nature, beaches, and a country side. Please, help.

#1 HanoiMargarita has been a member since 2/5/2012. Posts: 10

Posted by nakedbackpacker on 3/9/2012 at 04:47

Hi,

I dont know much about cambodia as it is where i am heading in October but i can say that the islands in the south of Thailand are beautiful. Depending on what you are looking for will depend on where you should go. Koh Phe Phe is beautiful and good for partying and resting. Koh Tao is good for diving and is very cheap. Krabi is good for climbing. All the islands are a bit more expensive than the provinces in the north but accommodation is generally really good.

Hope this helps you a little bit

#2 nakedbackpacker has been a member since 30/5/2012. Posts: 6
 Website 

Posted by mikethediver on 3/9/2012 at 15:46

OK, so ditch 2 bags and travel. If you cannot walk because of your bags I have no suggestions for you. Going to Thailand, cheaply, means Airasia, or similar, which have a 15 kilo luggage limit (unless you have an inordinate amount of money!). You can travel to PP,Sihanoukville, Kep & Kampot but even then you need to be able to walk out of the bus station. 4,000 islands involves a boat trip and a long walk!!!!!!! Get a life and ditch 2 bags!
mike

#3 mikethediver has been a member since 23/3/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 206
 Send mikethediver a private message   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.