Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Is 4 or 5 days enough for Cambodia

Posted by AoA on 25/9/2012 at 15:50

I don't really need an extensive amount of time in Cambodia but just enough to see a few places, take a few pics and move on the next stop. SR, Sville and PP are the places I plan on going to. So I guess muy question is, is 4 or 5 days (6 max) enough to see these places?

#1 AoA has been a member since 25/9/2012. Posts: 7
 Send AoA a private message 

Posted by busylizzy on 25/9/2012 at 19:37

Only if you cut it down to 2 locations. For your purposes of breezing through and snapping a few pics, skip Sville; it won't be worth the travel time to get there. Allow 3 days in Siem Reap, 1 day travel time, and 2-3 days in PP.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by tyler on 26/9/2012 at 01:30

6 days to see Cambodia...yeah, keep it to a max of 2 places.
If you ask your tuk tuk driver to go slow you might not even have to get off of it!

#3 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Send tyler a private message   Where has tyler been? 

Posted by AoA on 26/9/2012 at 08:23

So Sihanoukville is it worth a visit? I don't expect to see the WHOLE CAMBODIA in a week but Siem Reap, Phnom Pehn and Sihanoukville 2 days each should be sufficent or at least I would hope so. Time really isn't that important to me on this trip but I would like to keep my days in Cambodia to at least a week, I still have about three more weeks after that to see other locations, Laos being one of them.

#4 AoA has been a member since 25/9/2012. Posts: 7

Posted by tyler on 26/9/2012 at 09:00

Hey, when you get to PP (or even before for airport pick-up) and you need a tuk tuk call my buddy "Polo". Great dude, honest and he'll help you to get the most out of your time. His mobile is 012 454 842.
I originally planned a week or two in Cambodia on my first trip. That was about 5 years ago. I stay every every time I go to Asia. There is something about the place that has captured me...
Have fun.

#5 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257

Posted by AoA on 26/9/2012 at 09:04

Thanks for the help but I think I'll just get a tuk tuk driver and all that when I get there, I'm in no rush. Thanks again

#6 AoA has been a member since 25/9/2012. Posts: 7

Posted by altmtl on 26/9/2012 at 11:52

I'd say NO. Not enough time, I don't believe in rushing through places and taking snaps and saying "I was in Cambodia" Not my style.

#7 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 996
 Send altmtl a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by tyler on 26/9/2012 at 12:55

@altmtl - I hear ya dude. But buddy only wants to fly through and snap some pics. Clearly it is just a "hey, been there - saw that, got my passport stamp" kind of thing.
2 days in PP...killing fields, S21, Palace...1 day travel to SR... 2 days there...Angkor, pub street... 1 day for travelling out. Possible.
Not my way of doing things either but it is about what AoA wants to do and not us. If this is AoA's wish to travel this way then he/she can have at it.

#8 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257

Posted by AoA on 26/9/2012 at 13:27

hahaha thanks for the replies but its not just a "hey been there type trip just for passport stamps" hahaha becuase I can stay 4 weeks in Cambodia if I wanted but I just wanted to get a breif intruduction to the place I don't want to write a book about it and if I like it then I WILL BE BACK, many times. It's just I have a few other spots I plan on spending way more time in than Cambodia I guess it all depends on how I feel when I get there. If I get there and I like then I will stay more than a week if I think it's soso then I'll do my week and go on about my way but if (and Idoubt it but if) I don't like it for some unforeseen reason then I'll do about 3 or 4 days knock off one of then 3 places just do 2 and go.

#9 AoA has been a member since 25/9/2012. Posts: 7

Posted by travellingsarah on 26/9/2012 at 20:28 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

"Siem Reap, Phnom Pehn and Sihanoukville 2 days each should be sufficent or at least I would hope so."

But you've not allowed for travel time....I'm with the 'stick to 2 places' crew.

#10 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 681
 Send travellingsarah a private message   Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Posted by altmtl on 26/9/2012 at 23:06

I'm thinking of spending two weeks + around Kampot, Kep & an island or 2. Not interested in SV or Angkor much (been already) - PP maybe a few days.

#11 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 996

Posted by AoA on 27/9/2012 at 08:39

Another quick question I just came up with, is what is the chances I will find any good vegetarian restaurants in Cambodia. I know there may be some dishes available on most menus but is there any dedicated vegetarian restaurants in the area?

#12 AoA has been a member since 25/9/2012. Posts: 7

Posted by altmtl on 27/9/2012 at 13:15

Have you tried google?

#13 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 996

Posted by AbigailatPenhandInk on 28/9/2012 at 03:42 TF writer

Check the Cambodia blog on this site, there's a couple of articles about veggie eating:

https://www.travelfish.org/blogs/cambodia/2011/04/08/more-vegetarian-options-in-phnom-penh/

https://www.travelfish.org/blogs/cambodia/2011/01/09/vegetarian-options-in-phnom-penh/

Regarding your timetable, you do need to allow for travel time and the possibility of being tired and not knowing your way around when you arrive. If you're not going to book accommodation in advance, that can also take up time, especially if you have a budget to stick to. I spent three days just visiting Angkor Wat and spending some time in SR town, and that was without even visiting the Tonle Sap.

#14 AbigailatPenhandInk has been a member since 9/11/2010. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 179
 Send AbigailatPenhandInk a private message   Website 

Posted by AoA on 28/9/2012 at 04:15

@AbigailatPenhandInk

thanks for that... a simple question and a simple answer.

#15 AoA has been a member since 25/9/2012. Posts: 7

Posted by altmtl on 28/9/2012 at 05:01

Had you of looked on google you would of found this: http://www.happycow.net/asia/cambodia/

#16 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 996

Posted by AoA on 28/9/2012 at 05:26

@altmtl thanks so very much, but my question has been answered already. I do know about Google amazingly and I also know about Happy Cow. Happy Cow is a very through website.

#17 AoA has been a member since 25/9/2012. Posts: 7

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.