Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Siem Reap to Phnom Penh to Saigon

Posted by oisin on 21/5/2007 at 16:14

I want to spend a couple of days in each of these places in mid June.

Which is the best way to travel between each location?

I've heard that bus and boat are the the two options. I think I would like to try one journey by boat. But I would appreciate some advice...

Can anyone advise

#1 oisin has been a member since 13/4/2007. Posts: 14

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/5/2007 at 17:02 admin

Siem Reap to Phnom Penh -- bus is cheapest and quickest.

Phnom Penh to Saigon, best way to do it is boat from Phnom Penh to Chau Doc, overnight there, then either straight to Saigon following day or spend 2/3 days in Delta (Can Tho and My Tho are popular spots). If you want to go direct from Phnom Penh to Saigon, then direct bus -- takes most of a day and costs US$6-$12 depending on the carrier.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by oisin on 21/5/2007 at 18:59

Roughly how long does the bus take from siemp reap to phnom phenn.

Is it possible to get a fast boat direct from siem reap to phnom phenn? how long would it take?

Is it possible to get a fast boat direct from phnom phenn to saigon, again how long would it take?

Thank you

O

#3 oisin has been a member since 13/4/2007. Posts: 14

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/5/2007 at 19:28 admin

Roughly how long does the bus take from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh?

About 4-4.5 hours.

Is it possible to get a fast boat direct from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh? How long would it take?

There is only one boat that makes the run daily -- you can't choose between slow and fast boats. It takes 6-9 hours depending on conditions.

Is it possible to get a fast boat direct from phnom phenn to saigon, again how long would it take?

No. To my knowledge, there is no direct boat between the two.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by freenote on 22/5/2007 at 03:31

The most comfortable way appears to be the Mekong Express . The bus is run more like an airline ,checking in luggage , trolley dollies and free water . cost if remember correctly is 10$ Siem Reap to Phonm Penh and 12$ Phonm Penh to Saigon .Good value ,comfortable ride .
Have fun ;-)

#5 freenote has been a member since 4/12/2006. Posts: 11

Posted by ernieh on 22/5/2007 at 20:35

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi osisin,

I would recommend the An Phu tourist bus from PP to HMC. The bus was almost new, clean, AC worked and it only cost USD $8 compared to $12 for Mekong Express. I booked at World Wide Travel Agent on the Lakeside (Boeung Kak Lake - backpacker area) next Simon's 2 Guesthouse. I would advise that you avoid Phnom Penh Sorya Transport Company buses. Why? The buses are old, no AC on the bus from Battanbang to PP and they play annoying karokee music at full blast.

From SR to HMC another company that you might want to consider is Orient Star bus service. It costs $20 one way. E-mail: nice@hcm.vnn.vn to confirm the location of where the bus departs in SR. It's the bus comapny that STA Travel recommends in HMC.

Ernie

#6 ernieh has been a member since 21/3/2007. Posts: 49

Posted by adneilme on 28/5/2007 at 23:24

freenote, can you explain more? do they have a proper website to look for schedule and fares, etc?

#7 adneilme has been a member since 4/4/2007. Location: Malaysia. Posts: 9
 Twitter 

Posted by Roving_Roo on 29/5/2007 at 17:29

Hi Adneilme,

There is no website for Mekong Express. You can contact them with a direct enquiry on the following email address.

Phnom Penh; mekongexpress@online.com.kh
Siem Reap; mekongexp@camintel.com

If you want to travel from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh then there are 4 times of departure; 7.30, 8.30, 9.30 and 12.30 (I may be slightly off on these times) They normally pick you up from the guesthouse you have booked from, if you buy from a travel agent you will more than likely have to go to the bus station yourself. The journy take about 5.5hours and costs $10.

I am not too familiar with the PP to HCMC route, but I think there are buses leaving PP about 3 times per day.

If you want to travel from Siem Reap to HCMC in one day then you have to take the 7.30am bus from SR and you will arring in HCMC around 7.00pm. Cost right through $22.00

Hope this helps

Rachel

#8 Roving_Roo has been a member since 9/1/2006. Posts: 45

Posted by Lukepattison on 30/5/2007 at 15:20

Posted from within Vietnam.

I opted for the bus rather than the boat from Siem Reip to Penom Peng on price. Glad I did, a couple of Germans who I met before and after their boat journey said that it broke down twice on the lake and they were crammed in with loud Yanks. Can't think of anything worse! The busses are easy and people will be tripping over themselves to get you on their bus, it's super easy! The bus breaking down was about a week ago so not a ringing endorsement if you're travelling soon!

#9 Lukepattison has been a member since 19/3/2007. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.