Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Koh Rong vs. Koh Tonsay

Posted by caseyprich on 18/12/2012 at 01:22

Pretty much says it all - which do you think, we'll have relaxed in Battambang, and Kampot for a few days and eventually heading over to Ha Tien . . . so was considering Koh Tansay, but Stu has been touting Koh Rong so much, I think I could be wrong (GET IT!) on passing it up. Anyone with experiences of both places. I guess the biggest issue is we'd have to go round about as there isn't that direct a way from Koh Rong to Koh Tansay.

Any thoughts are welcome.

#1 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 18/12/2012 at 01:32 admin

Like you, I've only been to Koh Tonsay and you're correct there is no boat between the two. Talking to people who have been to Koh Rong (the couple who I did the bike trip with had just come from there) it sounds pretty bloody nice...

BUT

Considering just about everyone is pushing it, you'll probable have a quieter stay on Tonsay.

Hard call ... got time for both? ;-)

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by altmtl on 18/12/2012 at 06:49

I'm going to do both I think... but Koh Rong is apparently much nicer.

#3 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by ericgsmith on 18/12/2012 at 18:27

http://www.bemytravelmuse.com/koh-rong-photos/

Looks like either is amazing. I'll be heading to Koh Rong in March.

#4 ericgsmith has been a member since 1/9/2012. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 23
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by SvenskaSynne88 on 26/12/2012 at 09:05

I have travelled to both islands and there is only one choice, Koh Rong is at the best stage of development an island could be. Comforts and socalisation if you want this, or go for a walk and you are on untouchable beaches in 25 min or 1 hour by yourself only with the people you walked with. It is the freedom life but you can not ever leave! Many places to stay in the village that is not on the internet.

Koh Tonsay is very nice and the seafood is the best thing, but it is not as beautiful. It is more quiet but Koh Rong is quiet too if you want.

I am jealous you are going soon! :) :)

#5 SvenskaSynne88 has been a member since 26/12/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by DannyPoy85 on 26/12/2012 at 10:01

I'm not sure about Koh Tonsay, but i couldnt have had a better time than what i had on Koh Rong. Go now because it might only be another year or 2 before the big resorts kick off the bungalows. Monkey island bungalows if you're lucky enough to get a booking, Bunna's or Franks if you havent booked ahead. Say hi to Bunna, Leta and Jamie if you go to Bunna's!

#6 DannyPoy85 has been a member since 26/12/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by AbigailatPenhandInk on 10/1/2013 at 01:26 TF writer

Koh Tonsay is great for a day trip or if you're limited on time, and it's a little bit cheaper on accomodation and boat trip costs. But the effort to get to Koh Rong means you get white coral sand and that feeling of being away from the mainland. If you have the time, I'd recommend it.

Just remember to take insect repellent - the downside of untouched beaches is plenty of sand flies!

#7 AbigailatPenhandInk has been a member since 9/11/2010. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 179
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.