Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

travelling between cambodia and laos trip advice

Posted by LissB on 28/1/2013 at 01:52

Im planning on travelling through Laos and Cambodia towards the end of this year. I have travelled to Asia quite a few times before doing Intrepid trips so this will be the first time organising a trip on my own.

I will be travelling with my boyfriend and possibly a couple other friends who have not been overseas before and we will be staying ideally for 20-25 days but this is flexible. My main issue is getting from one place to another.

My basic itinerary at this point is to start in Laos, Luang Prabang going to Vang Vieng and then through to Vientaine. Somehow I would then like to head to Cambodia and would like to go to Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and then a possible trip down to the beaches, Ive read that Sianoukville isn't necessarily the nicest one to visit.

Any advice would be awesome.

#1 LissB has been a member since 28/1/2013. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/1/2013 at 03:19 admin

What time of year is the trip?

Once you get to Vientiane, stay in Laos (if time allows) and spend another week heading south. Then you can enter Cambodia at the southern tip of Laos and continue to Phnom Penh, then the beaches, then Siem Reap .

Sihanoukville doesn't appeal to all, but the islands are getting a lot of love. You can read about some of them here.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by LissB on 28/1/2013 at 17:24

Where would you suggest we stop on the way down from Vientiane? I was thinking perhaps catching the bus or plane to get to Cambodia if we didnt have enouh time to spend a week in the south, which would be better? and what are the prices?

I'm keen to do an island, thanks for that.

#3 LissB has been a member since 28/1/2013. Posts: 6

Posted by billytheliar on 29/1/2013 at 11:35

Well, it's actually a detour (not directly at the route 13), but it's on your general direction (south of Vientiane) : Konglor cave - I think it would be worth it.

#4 billytheliar has been a member since 3/4/2012. Posts: 48
 Where has billytheliar been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.