Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

SIM card for Cambodia at Thai border?

Posted by pbzvariety on 15/2/2013 at 22:28

I'm about to cross and have no idea of I can refill my dtac card there, or if it will even work so what should I do?

get a new one, and from what company, and how and...? thanks!

#1 pbzvariety has been a member since 12/2/2013. Location: United States. Posts: 7
 Website 

Posted by altmtl on 16/2/2013 at 22:07

https://www.travelfish.org/blogs/cambodia/2011/06/23/how-to-get-a-sim-card-in-phnom-penh/

I'm just getting a new one in Battambang when I arrive from Thailand... but I'm not sure which company has the best range from the islands in the south however? Got to try and find out - your thai sim probably won't work in Cambodia.

#2 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by pbzvariety on 17/2/2013 at 00:51

I am writing to you from my Smart card now. they have a promotion today or some time period to give u $15 data credit for $1. seriously. no idea why.

the calls are 7 cents a minute, insane yes, for local and USA.

incoming it is free.

#3 pbzvariety has been a member since 12/2/2013. Location: United States. Posts: 7
 Website 

Posted by AbigailatPenhandInk on 21/2/2013 at 21:36 TF writer

Hi PBZ - I just got back from Koh Rong island and had good reception on my Metfone SIM. Hello SIMs also works reasonably well there.

Given that SIM cards are so cheap here, you could always buy a couple from different providers to use them depending on your location and call type - it's what Cambodians do to make the most of the special offers!

Look for mobile phone companies' offices and mobile sales stations around town. You'll need a photocopy of your passport and a few dollars. Cellcard has a large office on Sihanouk Blvd just up from the Monument, Metfone has a few offices including one on Street 13 near the Old Market, QB have gazebos set up around busy areas ...

#4 AbigailatPenhandInk has been a member since 9/11/2010. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 179
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.