Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

What is the best way to get from Sihanoukville to Siem Reap?

Posted by mawer_9 on 12/3/2013 at 08:00

Good afternoon everybody, i am looking for some help if possible.

We are travelling from Vietnam into Phnom Penh and will spend a couple of days here. We would then like to travel to Sihanoukville so we can access Koh Rong. From there we would obviously then like to venture up to Siem Reap.

Is there any advice for time to spend in each place, stuff to do and best ways to travel to each place. The main journey i was having trouble with is Sihanoukville to Siem Reap.

I would really appreciate any advice from people who have done it previously!

Thanks in advance,

Chris

#1 mawer_9 has been a member since 12/3/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by Nisseyaklom on 16/3/2013 at 22:44

Best way is to fly. Angkor air do the route.

#2 Nisseyaklom has been a member since 2/12/2007. Posts: 40
 Website 

Posted by caseyprich on 16/3/2013 at 22:49

In Sihanoukville there are plenty of tour operators that provide buses from there to Siem Reap direct - usually with a stop in PP to drop off and pick-up. Can't recall the specifics, but it is a long ride. For timing, I'd recommend 3 nights in PP, 4 nights in Siem Reap, 3/4 nights on the beach.

#3 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by sparky on 17/3/2013 at 11:24

Hi there - I would bus back to Phnom Penh from Sihanoukville...
From Phnom Penh - catch the ferry - fast on the Tong Sap to Siem Reap via the lake / Mekong backwater called the Tonle Sap.

The ferry is fast and a bit noisy - take plenty of sun tan loation and long sleeves / pants - as the view up top is good and the noise in the covered area tiring - also bring food and drinks - as the trip can take 6 - 10 hours...

enjoy...

PS I would avoid buses where ever possible in Cambodia

#4 sparky has been a member since 19/3/2006. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 6
 Send sparky a private message   Facebook  

Posted by Geer1 on 17/3/2013 at 16:20

Capitol and Phnom Penh Sorya buses are fine in Cambodia. The one Rith Mony bust I was on was horrible though.

#5 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by caseyprich on 17/3/2013 at 18:36

And for a few extra bucks you can usually book an express mini-van that takes at least an hour of the ride between PP-SR or PP-Battambang. Not sure if that would be fantastic for longer haul like SV-PP.

#6 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281

Posted by Geer1 on 18/3/2013 at 00:24

Avoid minibuses in Cambodia. Minibuses in Cambodia mean at least 4 people per row and often don't have good air conditioning. I only tried it once but heard the same reports from others. On my trip in a 12 seater bus there were 16 adult size people and at least half a dozen children, the driver himself was sharing his seat with another person so everyone could fit in. They may go faster but because they are so cramped you can't get comfortable and it isn't worth it imo.

#7 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by sayadian on 18/3/2013 at 03:43

Sorya and GST have certainly upped their act in the last couple of years and are fairly reliable.
Is that fast boat up the Tonle Sap the same one which used to do the Koh Kong-Sihanoukville run before they built the road? If so, you're right about it being noisy inside. In those days most Westerners stayed up top.Some for the sun tan but most because they realised it was a death trap. No keel in rough seas and just one exit.
Just came across this site offering a 'superior' bus serving PP-Sihanoukville-Seam Reap. I haven't got a clue about them. Would be very interested in anybody's experience with them.
http://www.giantibis.com/
They sound pretty good and reasonably priced.
Been reading more. Got wi-fi, you get a meal, they claim to have clean storage space, so your bag doesn't come out covered in oil as is usual. I've yet to read there is no Karaoke which would be a huge plus for me but $10 PP-Sihanoukville. Sounds great. Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to connect on from Sihanoukville at PP to SR by the look of their timetable but why not have a relaxing break in PP sitting by the Riverside sipping a cool drink.

#8 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by caseyprich on 18/3/2013 at 04:10

We took Giant Ibis from PP to Kampot and the ride was very comfortable - a mini-van, but not overstuffed. We were about an hour late getting picked up . . . but that seems to be the norm in Cambodia.

#9 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281

Posted by sayadian on 18/3/2013 at 04:11

Update.
I've just been on Canbypublications http://www.canbypublications.com/cambodia/buses.htm and they have a link to giantibis with a different timetable which includes a night bus to SR so maybe it is possible to travel the whole journey in one day

#10 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.