Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Glowing algae in Kampot

Posted by wheretonext on 22/3/2013 at 08:18

Heading off to cambodia this May and I was going to give Kampot a miss until I read about the sea algae you can swim with that glow at night. Is this for real? If yes, where in Kampot? In Rabbit Island right? Does it look like that scene from Life of Pi?

#1 wheretonext has been a member since 10/11/2012. Location: Philippines. Posts: 23
 Send wheretonext a private message 

Posted by sayadian on 22/3/2013 at 08:39

Is it algae? It takes me back to walking on a Thai Island beach and finding this stuff washed up whilst people in the water were throwing it in the air to create a surreal effect. Perhaps a biologist on here can explain. I've only seen it that one time many years ago.

#2 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by eastwest on 22/3/2013 at 21:50

I haven't seen that movie but yes you do have algae in Kep.

If you wade into the water at night time you see the algae light up around you where the water is stirred. As far as I know this happens all year round (and I live in Kep)

#3 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778
 Send eastwest a private message 

Posted by Geer1 on 22/3/2013 at 23:53

I tried this on Koh Tonsay(Rabbit Island), I didn't want to actually go for a swim though so I just walked out knee deep and kicked around which didn't work. Guessing I just didn't go deep enough though as others were talking about it.

Unless you are short on time I definitely would not miss out on Kampot/Kep/Koh Tonsay if coming to Cambodia. Imo probably the 2nd best place in Cambodia behind Siem Reap, I didn't go to Koh Rong though and heard very good things about there as well.

#4 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by sayadian on 23/3/2013 at 02:12

Well, it was a beach on Koh Samui I saw it but that was before the hordes arrived.
What is it about Kampot that people like? I'm curious. Is it the surrounding countryside? I'd have to agree it's very pretty. Maybe the islands? I haven't been.Are they truly tropical with clear water and pristine beaches? but Kampot itself is a dreary little town (much like most Khmer small towns). Koh Kong has a much nicer vista on the estuary and some beautiful forest.
Kep, I haven't been to since 2004 so I have no idea. Then it was just a heap of burnt out houses from the war and an extremely muddy beach with hardly any sand.

#5 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.