Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Cambodia, Veitnam, Malaysia, Indonesia

Posted by inny on 17/4/2013 at 18:39

Hi,
I'm new to the site and just looking for some advice. I'm planning on travelling by myself this summer for around 2 months (June-August) around those 4 countries. I know its quite unconventional to do these without doing Thailand, but I travelled around Thailand last summer for a month and fell in love with South East Asia and wanted to go back and do more as soon as possible. I'm a 20 year old male student and plan to be travelling by myself on a relatively cheap budget. If you've got the time a quick reply to just a few questions would be fantastic

1) Has anyone done this route before and how would they recommend going about it?
2) How much money would you suggest taking for 2 months (per day)? Relatively cheap living in dorms, street food etc..
3) Any tips and any other advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

#1 inny has been a member since 17/4/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by antoniamitchell on 6/5/2013 at 02:11

Hi Inny,

Since you've already spent a month in Thailand, you already know how much things cost there; I found Vietnam to be about 25-30% more expensive than Thailand (food and sightseeing was still very cheap, but accommodation was more expensive). Malaysia was slightly more expensive than Thailand (maybe 10-15%, again most of that on accommodation). I haven't been to Cambodia (roughly comparable to Thailand for costs??) or Indonesia (which I believe costs a lot more to move around from island to island).

There's quite a lot of detailed discussions on budgets already on the finance and money side of the forum (https://www.travelfish.org/board/topic/financemoney) so have a trawl through there for more specifics on each country.

One thing to be aware of: a lot of places in SE Asia don't have much in the way of dorms, so for budget stays you're more likely to be looking at a fan-cooled single room with shared bathroom (which you should be able get for $10 or so in many places, but expect to pay a bit more in larger cities, popular islands, etc. - again, you'll be able to find more details if you look through the previous country-specific threads).

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: Singapore. Posts: 499
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by inny on 6/5/2013 at 05:06

Thanks for the replies, just booked my flights yesterday, so replies were perfect timing

#3 inny has been a member since 17/4/2013. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.