Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

road from Poipet to Siem Reap

Posted by miu_miu on 1/7/2007 at 06:22

Hello,
I will be traveling from BKK to Siem Reap after 18th of August. Will the rout be clear or impossible to pass due to rainy period.
We want to take fast boat from Siem Repa to Phom Penh - probably it will not be a problem.
But what about the route from capital city to Sihanoukville?
And of course is it worth to visit the beaches there or just come back to Thailand?
Thanks for any info in advance,
Olga

#1 miu_miu has been a member since 1/7/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by Roving_Roo on 4/7/2007 at 21:24

Hi Olga,

The route from Poipet to Siem Reap will not be impassable in August; the taxis can get through anything! If there has been a lot of rain then the journey will take longer than the 3-3.5hours it is currently taking due to a number of reasons, but you will get there eventually.

There is no slow or fast boat to Phnom Penh, it's all one boat type; old with squat toilets and shabby interiors so most prefer to sit on the roof in the burning sun with the deafening engine (I've seen some horrific burns from that journey where people forget that the wind does not stop them burning!!!). This journey is quite scenic in parts, just not for the three hours when you are in the middle of the Ton Le Sap lake. It is certainly an experience, but not the cruise down the Mekong sipping a G & T as my dad expected! There should be enough water by then though.

Daily buses, at least twice per day from PP to Sihanoukville. Takes about 4 hours. Thai beaches will probably be more pictureesque, but it's a different country.

Have fun, Rachel

#2 Roving_Roo has been a member since 9/1/2006. Posts: 45
 Send Roving_Roo a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.