Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Visa on arrival at SR airport

Posted by Roving_Roo on 9/7/2007 at 17:34

Hi,

It is well known that the border officials at the Poipet / Aranyaprathet border ask for 1,000 Baht rather than the official US$20, but I heard yesterday that upon flying in to Siem Reap airport the officials there also asked someone for 1,000B (refusing US$ as payment). I was under the impression that the airport took US$20 without a problem for the visa on arrival charge. Has anyone else had this happen? Is this a change on the part of the airport or is this the officials pocketing the excess?

Thanks for your views.

Rachel

#1 Roving_Roo has been a member since 9/1/2006. Posts: 45
 Send Roving_Roo a private message 

Posted by AmandaJordan on 9/7/2007 at 21:22

Hi rachel,

I was just there about a month ago and was charged US$20 without a problem. There may be some officials trying to scam people but as long as you are aware of what it should cost you shouldn't have a problem.

#2 AmandaJordan has been a member since 15/1/2007. Posts: 12

Posted by Roving_Roo on 10/7/2007 at 19:51

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering if this had happened to other people, but perhaps this was a one off. My friend did say that he knew the visa was only US$20, but the official wouldn't back down. I hope this wont become common place like in Poipet.

#3 Roving_Roo has been a member since 9/1/2006. Posts: 45

Posted by huow on 11/7/2007 at 04:37

Hi,you should have no problem in SR and PP airports: official formalities are applied i.e. 20USD for a visa.

You may be asked for a "donation" by a immigration or customs officer.
You can refuse (keep your smile); you should have no trouble.

#4 huow has been a member since 4/7/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by huow on 11/7/2007 at 04:40

Official site of SR airport:
http://www.cambodia-airports.com/siemreap/en/info.asp?s=formalities

#5 huow has been a member since 4/7/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by ernieh on 12/7/2007 at 15:11

Hi,

I arrived to Siem Reap from Pakse, Laos with Lao Airlines and paid $20 US for my 1 month tourist visa.
Border crossings are notorious for charging extra (ie. overtime fee). If you wan't to save time and frustration I would recommend that you pay the extra money and fly.

#6 ernieh has been a member since 21/3/2007. Posts: 49

Posted by Roving_Roo on 12/7/2007 at 20:31

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses. I am familiar with Cambodian border crossings and extra tea monies charged and live in Siem Reap so know the airport quite well, but as I have a business visa I don't have the hassle of visa on arrival.

I was wondering if many others had had the same experience at airports, as my friend had.

Sounds like it was just someone trying their luck which paid off in this case.

Thanks again.

Rachel

#7 Roving_Roo has been a member since 9/1/2006. Posts: 45

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.