Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Do you get drug tested at Poipet?

Posted by roro1990 on 27/9/2013 at 13:49

I rarely do drugs of any kind at home and the only drug i'd ever touch is weed. I'm not stupid enough to even contemplate touching a joint in thailand or laos, but from what I've heard from people who have been to cambodia, it's a pretty much lawless place (despite that, i'm assuming cannabis is technically illegal). Anyway hypothetically if one was to have a joint in Cambodia, and then go back into thailand at the poipet border, what are the chances of being drug tested and caught? And what would the repercussions be for having cannabis in your system?

#1 roro1990 has been a member since 9/8/2013. Posts: 38
 Send roro1990 a private message 

Posted by JaiYen88 on 27/9/2013 at 13:56

This is not going to happen. There are stories of Bangkok police busting clubs and drug testing people inside but it's unclear whether this still goes on. I wouldn't worry about it, just be smart and don't buy in the street. And when coming back into Thailand try not to look as if you've just stayed up all night.

#2 JaiYen88 has been a member since 25/4/2012. Posts: 110
 Send JaiYen88 a private message 

Posted by Geer1 on 27/9/2013 at 20:27

Just don't do it... Unless you want to end up in a Thai prison... Not worth the risk.

#3 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by mixxat on 28/9/2013 at 07:58

There is no problem in the border, if you have been smoked, i don't know anybody who has been drug tested or something between Thai- Cambodia border. And in Cambodia smoking weed is "almost" legal

#4 mixxat has been a member since 29/4/2012. Location: Other. Posts: 42
 Send mixxat a private message 

Posted by mattocmd on 29/9/2013 at 10:49

Are you kidding? Restaurants throughout the country openly sell it in the form of Happy Shakes and Happy Pizza! I was at a bar in Sihanoukville and joints were on the menu! The authorities aren't going to start harassing precious tourists by giving drug tests at the border! Just don't do anything stupid like try to bring it across.

#5 mattocmd has been a member since 13/6/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 365
 Send mattocmd a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.