Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Phu Quoc to Phnom Penh

Posted by Dee6262 on 21/10/2013 at 13:39

Can anyone please advise me on the best way to get from Phu Quoc to Phnom Penh after my R&R on the island. I am a fairly antiquated lady having an adventure but don't really want to fly direct to Phnom Penh or have too many changes of modes of transport. Really grateful for your help!

#1 Dee6262 has been a member since 21/10/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by JaiYen88 on 21/10/2013 at 17:03

I've done the opposite journey and it will require a few changes, so I'm not sure how many is too many for you! I can't remember if they sell direct tickets to Phnom Penh on Phu Quoc, but if not, you can get the ferry to Ha Tien, then a travel agent there should be able to sell you a ticket to PP.

Another option could be to take a tuktuk to the border and try to arrange onward transport once you cross into Cambodia, but you could be waiting a long time!

You will more than likely have to change to a different bus once you've crossed the border, then maybe change again in Kep, but hopefully you will be able to stay on the same bus from the border to Phnom Penh.

Sorry I couldn't be more precise, I did the journey the other way round, then went onwards to HCMC from Phu Quoc! This previous thread has a bit more info on where to get tickets to Cambodia in Ha Tien:

#2 JaiYen88 has been a member since 25/4/2012. Posts: 110
 Send JaiYen88 a private message 

Posted by caseyprich on 22/10/2013 at 07:30

When I was in Kampot we had a couple of nights in a row when we were heading out for dinner and the ferry/bus trip from Phu Quoc was just arriving into town. Those who had originally planned onward travel weren't to pleased with the experience, those who planned a couple nights in Kampot were just happy to have arrived. So, one option I might suggest is book from Phu Quoc to Kampot and spend a night or two in town before booking onward travel to Phnom Penh. Kampot is really delightful and even if you aren't going to venture too far a 2 night stay there is worth it just for a sunset.

#3 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.